Having trouble loading Bootcamp Drivers on 2013 iMac 27"

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by likwidsolutions, Apr 21, 2014.

1. likwidsolutions macrumors member

Okay so I've tried to install W7 multiple different ways. I tried using Bootcamp, I also tried using reFit, no luck. Honestly I prefer the refit option to the Bootcamp option. I know you can still install Linux and other OSs after installing W7 via Bootcamp, but I'd like to be able to choose my OS right when the computer starts up.

Either way, that has nothing to do with my problem, so that's my prerogative. Basically I tried to install for a long time before realizing that 2013 iMacs won't accept W7 installs that have 32/64 both on the same .iso or disc. It has to be 64 bit only. Once I figured that out, it made things a little easier, I wasn't able to load Windows before.

Now when I partition my drive and get to the windows install and setup screens, I get to the point where it asks you to install the bootcamp drivers, which I made sure to get beforehand. I also made sure I got the right one (5.1.5640). Everytime I get to that point however, it just doesn't load. It says it cannot find the drivers, and the installation can't go any further, so I have to restart and load Mac OS X.

I am really starting to get frustrated with this whole thing because I would like to play some Steam games and a lot of the ones I want are Windows only.

Also I have no problems installing as many Linux OS's as I can, but W7 just doesn't want to accept the drivers.

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

The Bootcamp drivers are not installed during the Windows installation. You run the installer after the Windows installation is complete and you've booted to the Windows desktop. I'm not sure I follow exactly what you are describing but are you trying to point to the Bootcamp drivers during the Windows installation process when it asks if you have any special third party drivers?

3. Quackers macrumors 6502a

If it doesn't auto run once booted into Windows go to the Bootcamp folder in Windows Explorer and double-click on the setup.exe and the installation should begin.

However, having said that I know that the Apple site was wrong for certain iMacs of the 2013 vintage. I don't know whether that error has been corrected so it's possible you may need the 5621 drivers package.

4. likwidsolutions thread starter macrumors member

I'll give those solutions a try, hopefully one of them works.

5. likwidsolutions thread starter macrumors member

I think I may have given the wrong idea. I am not able to install W7 x64 at all. I have a W7 x64 only disc, and I tried using a USB to boot windows. Basically when I use Bootcamp it just doesn't let me install. I will have to retry to get the exact message but it's like the second screen of the setup.

When I use refit (and a few times Bootcamp), Windows 7 setup starts yet my keyboard and mouse stop working. I tried plugging in a Windows keyboard and a wired mouse to see if that made any difference, and it did not. It's strange, when the BIOS starts up for Windows the keyboard and mouse lights are on, then as soon as Windows Setup starts they turn off and they aren't detected. I'm going crazy trying to install W7 on this computer.

6. Quackers macrumors 6502a