Having trouble replacing hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AmandaK, Feb 17, 2012.

1. AmandaK macrumors newbie

Hi there, So I bought my macbook in 2007, and have replaced the hard drive once already (I had apple care so I just had them take care of it) and within the last year my hard drive failed again. Unfortunately my apple care had expired so I decided to replace the hard drive on my own. After researching everything and buying a WD 320gb SATA mobile 5400/8mb 2.5" internal hard drive, and trying to install the hard drive with the start up disc that came with my mac (and tiger as my operating system), I've come across a few issues. First issue is that my Mac is registering the hard drive as a 2.3 tb... so I naturally assume it what a problem with the hard drive. went back to the store, and exchanged the hard drive. Again, after trying to install the hard drive, it registered the hard drive as a 2.3 tb... (obviously I would not mind having 2.3 tb for the price of a 320gb.. but when things are too good to be true that usually means there's a problem) second issue I've been having is that I tried to erase the already blank hard drive, and have tried to partition the hard drive as well. Every step i take pretty much ends in a "[whatever step i take] failed. input/output error" does anyone know Why this happened/happens? and does anyone know how to fix it? Please and thank you! i'm desperate to get my mac back lol

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

He,

It might be the cable between your hard drive and motherboard. I've been saying this a lot lately, so take it or leave it. But it might be worth a shot to see if that's the problem.

My broke twice. Both times you could "sort of" read and write to the hard drive. But a lot of things I tried failed (like partitioning or reinstalling Lion).

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Have you got an external drive enclosure/case? If so put the drive in and see if it works OK, or not as the case maybe.