Having Trouble Upgrading to Mac App Store

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hrothgar, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Hrothgar macrumors 6502

I've got a 4-year old macbook pro. I wanted to upgrade my iPhoto (which I have to do to import photos from BlackBerry). When I go to iPhoto in Apple and click upgrade, I'm told that I need OS X 10.6 or Snow Leopard. I've got 10.5.8. When I click upgrade, it tells me about Lion, for $29. When I try to upgrade to Lion, it tells me I need the Mac App Store. When I try to upgrade to add the Mac App Store, it tells me I need 10.6. When I try to get 10.6, I need the App Store. And around I go.

Any help?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Get Snow Leopard? Find somewhere still selling the disc, buy and install. From there, if you want to get Lion, upgrade to that. Otherwise stay with Snow Leopard.

10.6 is Snow Leopard. You don't need 10.6 to get Snow Leopard because they're the same thing. You need 10.6 (.6) to get the Mac App Store, which you need to get Lion (10.7)

3. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

if OP is in the U.S, check OWC. they are still selling the SL disk.

4. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

5. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

If you can "acquire" (I'll leave the definition of acquire open-ended) and then make a bootable usb disk or DVD, then you can clean install (wipes everything) from Leopard to Lion.