Having trouble using Boot Camp assistant

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by drdoomIQ, Apr 23, 2009.

1. drdoomIQ macrumors newbie

I have a partitioned hard drive taking up space (30.9 GB's) on my computer, but when i try to run boot camp assistant to remove it, it refuses to open, saying it can't create a partition, nor restore a partitioned hard drive to the main hard drive. Any ideas or help on the matter would be great

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

BootCamp Assistant can only remove a BootCamp Assistant-created partition. If you made the 30.9 GB partition in Disk Utility, you'll have to use DU to get rid of it. In Disk Utility, you would select the disk volume (not Macintosh HD) then find the Partition tab to the right. Highlight the 30.9 GB partition, click the - sign, find the 3 diagonal lines allowing you to resize the Macintosh HD to fill the entire volume, then click Apply. Also make sure the Partition Map at the bottom reads GUID Partition Map, not MBR or Apple Partition Map, either of which will cause issues when you try to run Boot Camp Assistant.

3. drdoomIQ thread starter macrumors newbie

you see the thing is i did create it with Boot Camp, but now boot camp won't work, and i cannot remove it using disk utility, as when i tried following your steps, i got into the partition area, but did not see a "-" sign anywhere

4. Illicit macrumors 6502

If you can get a copy of iDefrag, try it.
    It's solved all my BCA partition issues.

5. drdoomIQ thread starter macrumors newbie

i was only able to get a demo, as i can't afford the full version right now. any other ideas/ways to remove this wasted space from my system

6. Illicit macrumors 6502

Turn on Private Messaging and send me a PM.

7. drdoomIQ thread starter macrumors newbie

one more post is all i need, however i still don't have the option send/receive a PM and the FAQ isn't helping