Having trouble w/ screen sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 1jman1, Jan 9, 2009.

1. 1jman1 macrumors newbie

Well, Ive tried out the new screen sharing thing in leopard (from "shared" in finder) with my old mac and it worked great. Then, I decided to try to screen share my PC (in my network, under "shared" again), and it just won't work.

When I click on it under shared, it says "connection failed" after a few seconds. Then ive tried clicking "Connect As"; that didn't work either.

My pc is windows xp professional.
    Can someone tell me exactly what to do to make this work?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

In order to share with a Windows computer, you will need to use VNC. Under the Screen Sharing section of the Sharing preference pane, select Computer settings and check the "VNC viewers may control screen with password:" box. Enter a password, then click OK.

On the Windows computer, download a VNC client (I don't know of any offhand, but you should be able to find tons on Google) and navigate to the URL given on the Screen Sharing page.

3. 1jman1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I meant the opposite, from my mac to the pc. Thanks for help though.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Screen Sharing is from Mac to Mac.

If you want to screen share your windows pc on your mac, download microsoft 's remote desktop for mac.

5. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Download a VNC server, install that on the windows machine then use the built in viewer in os x to connect back to the windows machine.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

7. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

There is sure is!!

i have a vnc server setup on a machine at work all i do press :apple: + K to bring the connect to box up then type

vnc://IP Address (vnc://192.168.1.1)