having trouble with Bootcamp Windows Install

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kaelell, Jan 8, 2013.

1. kaelell macrumors 6502

hi all just looking for some advice,

trying to install Windows on a New iMac via an external DVD samsung DVD drive.

I have tried with both a Windows 7 install disc and Windows 8 , that I have previously used on a PC with success.

After selecting the install option via bootcamp assistant, the Mac reboots but goes to a black screen with a single cursor flashing. it does not move from here, I tried rebooting and holding alt to manually select the DVD drive but it then gives an error saying BOOTMGR not found.

any ideas?

can I even use an external DVD drive?
    Does the fact I am using a bluetooth keyboard make a difference? ( e.g no drivers to load it or something)

I have tried to delete the partition and try again via the bootcamp assistant but that made no difference.

thanks in advance.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Do you have a USB flash drive large enough to install from (8 GB)? You could use Boot Camp Assistant to make you a bootable flash drive as an alternative to the external optical drive.

However, before you go down that route try unplugging everything but the external ODD and see if that makes a difference.

B

3. kaelell thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, that was the only thing plugged in.
    I do have a 8GB usb drive I can try, would bootcamp simply make it from my CD ? or would it download a Windows 7 install of its own? ( just thinking as my preference was to install Windows 8 and the option you mentioned suggested Win 7)

thanks

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You need to feed BCA an ISO. You can rip one from the discs you have (Disk Utility or Burn OS X) or download one (official ISOs are readily available for both OSes).

B