Having trouble with default applications

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iMacJoe, Jun 17, 2008.

1. iMacJoe macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I own an iMac for my home computer and a MacBook Pro as my travel computer. Both of them have this exact issue. I have no idea if this is a widespread issue or a feature of the OS.

Everytime I turn on either of these computers after a shutdown, my default programs for the internet, opening documents, and viewing PDF files have been reset to the original defaults. Am I missing something here? Both of these computers run Leopard.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

3. iMacJoe thread starter macrumors newbie

When I open a PDF file, I tell it to open in Adobe, for instance, and then Adobe opens and says it is not set as the default PDF viewer, would I like to set Adobe as the default PDF viewer, click yes. That's how I change it for that. For the internet, I like using Firefox, so I either get a similar message opening Firefox, or I go into Safari and change my preferred web browser to Firefox.

When I shutdown my computer and turn it on later, those things have been reset.

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Have you tried changing the settings for the default PDF reader using the get info command in the finder (file menu)?