Having trouble with iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Snoopy5, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Snoopy5 macrumors newbie

I've been loading my music into iTunes but when it asks me if i would like to upload my music and i say yes it ends up being displayed as "Track 1..Track 2.. etc" instead of having the name of the song, artist and title.

Can anybody help me out because it is taking me forever to upload my music???

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Where are you trying to upload your music to? iTunes won't upload music anywhere. Are you talking about getting track names from CDDB? A little more clarity may help.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you're talking about ripping CDs, then go to preferences -> General -> Automatically retrieve CD track names... should be checked.

If you're talking about importing songs that are already in MP3 or M4A format from somewhere else, then iTunes uses the ID3 tag data -- if there's no legible metadata in the song, it gets imported without any metadata.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

and I believe you must be connected to the internet in order to retrieve info from CDs when you rip them.

5. Snoopy5 thread starter macrumors newbie

It shows that i'm connected to the internet

6. Snoopy5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm uploading my music into iTunes.

i don't understand what CDDB means

7. Snoopy5 thread starter macrumors newbie

All of the settings are correct

I am taking all of my cd's and uploading them into iTunes..

8. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Snoop, are your CDs normal, commercial CDs, or "mix" CDs? A typical commercial CD will rip into iTunes and show the individual track names before you confirm you want to import the CD.

On the other hand, if the CD is a mix or homebrew CD, the CDDB database cannot identify the songs, leading to the Track 1, Track 2 dilemma. Also, if the CDs are REALLY obscure, like popular "Polynesian War Chants" or something along those lines, the CDDB database will not recognize the CD and default to the numbered track identifiers.

Good Luck. Filling all of that stuff manually in is a pain.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Along the lines of what TJBlue said... CDDB is a database that is used to fill in track information. What it uses is data is the exact length (in samples, not seconds, I think) of each track on the CD. This acts more or less as a thumbprint -- very few commercial CDs have the same set of track lengths. Even if you copy an album, it has the same track lengths and it still gets recognized. But it's only the collection of lengths across the whole album that works -- so when you try to rip something other than the commercial albums, like a mix CD, the set of track lengths doesn't match anything in the database and you don't get names.

But that's the last detailed post I'm making here. Everyone here is giving you lots of help and you give one line, nonsensical responses. If you want any more help, provide some actual details about what you're doing.

10. Snoopy5 thread starter macrumors newbie

They are regular cd's from different stores. Non of them are ripped cd's

11. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Are you using the most current version of itunes?

12. Snoopy5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have iTunes 8 (iTunes 8.2.0.23)