Having trouble with RAID in Powermac G5.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dazloe, Jan 29, 2009.

1. dazloe macrumors member

Hey everyone, I just bought a second hand powermac G5 with the hard drives 'RAIDED' The two 250GB drives are mirrored, but I want to make them concatenated so that I will have more space. I went into disk utility and I can't do anything, everything is greyed out.

I can't delete RAID's, I can't change the type of RAID and I can't update the RAID. I've been sitting here for a while trying every possibility, but to no success. If anyone has some answers that would be great! Thanks for your help!

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Since they are mirrored. Remove one of the drives and boot into disk utility. You should be able to delete the RAID then. Boot into disk utility and then delete the RAID on the other. You might want to format them too while you're at it. Install them both and go back into disk utility and then set them up in a RAID0(I think that's the correct one you want?) so you will have "one" 500gb hard drive.

I sure do hope that you have an external hard drive for back up? Because if one drive will to fail, you will loose EVERYTHING!

3. dazloe thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, I should've to open disk utility off the install disks! So I deleted the mirrored RAID and then made them concatenated (I didn't want to stripe them (RAID 0)) So then I went to restart and a big cross sign came up on my screen and for about ten seconds I thought I had screwed up, but then I realised "o'yeah there is no operating system on this thing!" So I did a clean install and it was all good (and yes I had everything backed up beforehand :) Thanks heaps for your help!