Having trouble with Safari > Top Sites

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sirolway, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Sirolway macrumors 6502

Hi there

Safari's Top Sites page is driving me a bit nuts. I suspect I'm going to get a lot of "it's rubbish - don't use it" responses, which is the conclusion I'm rapidly coming to ...

1. I'm trying to add a page to Top Sites. I click Edit & see the text saying 'drag the URL to this page' but if I try that either nothing happens or the page loads instead of Top Sites - not what I want.

2. Once I have a page on Top Sites, there doesn't seem to be any way to edit the URL - for example to change from a sub page to the site's main page.

3. There's loads of 'Bookmark this Page' type links, but no 'Add to Top Sites' links, so there's no easy way to add a page other than the stupid drag & drop thing I can't get to work.

What am I missing?
    Or should I just switch to Chrome right now ...? :-/

2. z3r0inc macrumors regular

1) When you have the page you want added to your top sites loaded in the browser, bookmark it (command+D...I think). In the bookmark pop up, you can select where to send it. Top Sites will be an option.

2) You cant really change the URL that I remember. If you do the above correctly, this shouldn't be a problem.

3) This should be fixed by the above too...

hope that helps!

3. Sirolway thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah right yes of course - the bookmarking route will do the trick. I was thinking of the 'Add Bookmark' link a bit too literally - I forgot you can also add to Top Sites from there

Nice one - thanks

4. z3r0inc macrumors regular

No problem. I wish i were still using Safari but Chrome has great plugins I that I can't let go. I still use both depending on what I need to get done.