Having troubles with Wi-Fi again

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by apple-pie, Mar 25, 2010.

1. apple-pie macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I know I'm new here but I'm in need of your help, so if you can assist please do so as I cannot live without wi-fi and might have to go back to my nokia again if I can't sort this out.

Vodafone finally released the Iphone on their network in Ireland today and I've picked a 3gs up straight away.
    At work I have a wi-fi network with a CISCO router (I have no access to the router as only IT do and they won't change anything to satisfy me and my Iphone anyways). This network has no encryption whatsoever and its free to join, you don't need any password or anything. My nokia at the start couldn't connect as it said that the network needed a pre shared key, this isn't true and in the end it was just change a setting to no auth required for it to log into the network and work perfectly.

Today I got to work and the Iphone can't connect to the network, just says it can't join the network. I cannot find anything about authentication on the settings of the phone nor can I work around this at all. I've had a Ipod touch for (the 2nd gen) for over 2 years and I gave up trying to set it up at work because I just couldn't find what was wrong with it, I ended up almost not using it other than when traveling or on the gym.

So first question is there any way I can access the authentication settings for wi-fi connections on the Iphone? Maybe its just a little change that is needed like the nokia.

Has anyone experienced this problem on a open network that they cannot join?

Any other sugestions? Anything really?

Thank you very much for your time guys, I would really really appreciate your help on this.

Regards,

Rod

2. apple-pie thread starter macrumors newbie

I've searched and researched for the last few hours on this problem and it seems to happen when the network has authentication or security enabled, I don't seem to find this when the network has no security, encryption or authentication enabled. Everybody else seems to work fine without authentication however in this network it just doesn't connect, and gives the small box and dismiss is the only option, no settings, no troubleshoot, no anything else.

Don't really know what to do else... might have to get an android or go back to my nokia unfortunately! :(

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why dont you contact your network admin at work and ask him for help?
    I dont see why it will not connect to an open wifi unless they have it setup different somehow that needs additional steps to connect.

4. apple-pie thread starter macrumors newbie

I did and its pretty much out of the question IT will not touch the router to suit me alone. Everyone else use HTC, Nokia, or Blackberry devices and they all work fine (although the nokia as explained needs a little step on the configuration due to the pre shared key thingy).
    The network is open, both my laptop and netbook work fine with the wifi, my old HTC works fine, my Nokia works fine, My old PDA works fine its just the ipod touch and the iphone that cannot connect to the network. The biggest problem is the Iphone doesn't even let me access to any type of authentication, security or encryption configuration. Its either connect or doesn't no configuration available the only thing I have is the chance to change the Proxy settings (I don't need any by the way) and to change the Connection from DHCP to BootP or Static no more configuration available. You should be able to at least select authentication methods between say WEP and WPA, etc but I cannot seem to find that either.

I read a couple of years ago something about someone creating a small program for some cisco routers to overcome difficulties in wifi connections for the Iphone (think it was first gen Iphone) but this wasn't available for the Ipod touch for some reason. I came across this while trying to configure the Ipod Touch but now I don't seem to find it any mention of it anywhere.

All I know is that the Network is Open, every other device I have connects without a problem, even the mac book pro (so its not a apple thing either), but the Ipod/Iphone isn't able to connect in any way I try.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why would you need to access authentication, security or encryption configurations with an open wifi?
    Also you cannot select authentication methods like WEP and WPA. Those things are setup on the routers config utility and any particular device that tyrs to connect to a secure network like that just asks you for the password.
    Seems like a rare case with that particular Cisco router.
    Dont you have carrier data on your iphone?

6. apple-pie thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't want/need to access it, but thats how I sorted it on the nokia, by default it was requiring auth and when it found a network without authentication it just said that it needed a pre shared key and wouldn't let me connect. Once I changed it to none it worked fine. I'm just wondering if that would be the same with the Iphone at the moment or something else is preventing me from connecting.
    Everything else works fine on the Ipod, I can access Internet through 3g and through my home network just fine but not this one.
    What do you mean by carrier data? sorry ?

The DHCP fields do not update at all... it doesn't aquire any IP, Subnet Mask, DNS, etc.
    It detects all networks just fine but doesn't let me connect even when I have full signal. I tried to change it from DHCP to Static, to BootP nothing, tried to reset the networks with no result either.

Its hard to say but I know there's nothing wrong with the phone, and there's nothing wrong with the router as I'm typing this from my netbook and its working just fine but its weird that it doesn't work with any Apple portable device.

7. apple-pie thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I just tried to create a "other network" and insert the Router name manually, there and then I can select the security method between none and WEP, WPA, WPA2. and Enterprise WPA/2, selected none and it doesn't work either so it wouldn't be the same as I experienced in the Nokia N97 before.

I'm out of options!

8. apple-pie thread starter macrumors newbie

anyone else has any sugestions? Is there any app that handles wifi connectivity? thanks again.

9. jegbook macrumors regular

You could try the iPhone Configuration Utility.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL851

It allows you to create an iPhone configuration file with various types of settings, including settings for WiFi networks. I would look into that.

You mentioned trying Static IP settings for the WiFi network. Did you enter an IP address with subnet mask and gateway info? You should be able to figure that out from looking at a computer that is getting DHCP on the network. Choosing an IP could be tricky as you wouldn't want to choose one in use, maybe xxx.xxx.xxx.255?

Cisco WiFi seems to have a history of not playing nice with Apple hardware. :(

Good luck and post back if you can if you figure it out.

10. apple-pie thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that was the tool/software I saw was in development for the Iphone about 2 years ago but wouldn't work for the ipod touch. Thanks for that I'll try that on monday see if it works and I'll let you guys know.
    In the meantime if anyone has any other ideas or has experienced something similar (I can't beleive I'm the only one in the world with this problem on a open network) please post them.

Thanks,

11. apple-pie thread starter macrumors newbie

I've installed the configuration utility on my desktop at home and have been fiddling around with it for the past few hours. I managed to get some sort of profile created however I haven't found a way to upload this into the Iphone or I cannot find it within the phone if it actually works "on the fly".
    I've been looking for documentation on this and couldn't find much help, has anyone used the configuration utility to "upload" profiles into their Iphones? Anyone can help with how to do it?

Thanks again for all your help!

Rod

12. apple-pie thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok after spending a few more hours playing around with the config utility I managed to understand how to upload the profile to the phone and also managed to find the console debugger...

I drove outside work this morning with my netbook and the configuration utility on it, so this is what I got from the utility:

Is there anyone here that can make any sense of this?

I've edited out a couple of parts SSD (renamed Internet for instance) for company privacy issues, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

13. apple-pie thread starter macrumors newbie

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

15. apple-pie thread starter macrumors newbie

If only it was that simple... I would be out in the shops getting them one as we speak.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    I hear you.