Having troubling accessing terminal on startup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by N05AJ, Feb 13, 2015.

1. N05AJ macrumors newbie

When I use the function Command+S it will flicker the terminal sort if then boot up and go to the log in screen. Is there any reason this would happen? Also my apologies if this is posted I searched.

2. Bomb Bloke macrumors regular

Bomb Bloke

Is that a problem? I mean, do you not have a valid username and password you can enter in order to proceed?

One possible cause is FileVault encryption. It's not possible to access the drive until its unlocked, and this requires a valid username and password (or the special recovery code that might be stored on Apple's servers, if you're lucky). If all else fails, it should still be possible to wipe the drive and start over.

If you're not being asked for a username - just a password - then it may be an EFI password it's after. In this case, a large padlock should be displayed on the prompting screen. These can be reset without wiping the drive, though the process varies by model - you'll typically need to drop the unit off at an Apple authorised service provider to have it done for you.