Having Various Problems with MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tipman2000, Apr 8, 2012.

1. tipman2000 macrumors member

tipman2000

Hi there everyone! first off thanks in advance for any help!

So heres my problem: Ive got a Late 2008 MacBook (Aluminum) and lately it has been acting rather erratic.

OS X 10.7.3 Lion
    2.0GHz Core2Duo
    4GB (Aftermarket) RAM
    320 GB (Aftermarket) Seagate 7200RPM HDD
    13.3" model
    everything else is standard

Rundown of the symptoms-
    -Certain programs start extremely slow and then run slow once they start.
    -Computer itself starts up extremely slow. usually i starts in ~20-30 seconds but lately it doesn't finish booting for 1 and a half minutes.
    -Disc utility turns up a corrupted boot drive and needs repair. once repaired it runs fine awhile then needs repair again a few days later
    -Finally, today, a kernel panic. Booted up fine after.

I've been told before that this is a drive failure and there are bad sectors that keep getting written. I think this probably is the problem, but i dont know if that would cause a kernel panic. Can someone lend their expertise?

**Computer is fully backed up, and i've had to restore from a backup multiple times. This usually gets it to work for a while, but it eventually starts failing as usual. BTW, after the kernel panic, i restarted it and checked disc utility for corruption. The drive was fine. This is why i am believing there are problems other than the drive.

Thanks for any and all answers!

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

have you checked the SMART status on the drive? Sounds like a failing hard drive to me.