Having way too many problems with Jailbreaking, going back to Apple sanctioned one

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by 213rules, Dec 3, 2009.

1. 213rules macrumors member

Ever since I jailbroke my iPod touch 2G v3.1.2, I have had so many problems. I now have to restore my iPod an average of 2 times a month, and Cydia always crashes, and I do all the fixes, yet it never works. I have seen all the benefits of jailbreaking, and I love it, but really, why bother with an amazing setup when you have to spend 10+ hours a month fixing everything up. It has caused me more harm then good. So bye jailbroken iPod, thanks for everything. I don't want to give it up, but time is more important than iPods. I just wish Apple allows such features in the future, so people don't have to jailbreak anymore.

I told all my friends about how cool my iPod was, but now I see why apple discourages jailbreaking. I guess I still like jailbreaking, but I hate all the problems caused by it.

So my question here is, did I make the right choice? Or should I spend 2 hours getting everything back to the way it was before, and many hours to come in the future, for the sake of making my iPod cool and customized? I think Apple has adaquate software, and the extra features are uneccessary.

I might come back to jailbreaking in the future, maybe in firmware 3.5 or something, and see how it works out.:(

2. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

I have had my 2G 3.1.2 jailbroken since Blackra1n RC1 was released and have had no problems with it at all, mind you I don't use winterboard just a few tweaks that for me make the touch so much more functinal and user friendly like SBSettings for quick toggles, Orbit for quick app navigation, VolumeMC Settings to control music etc.

I think the more you bog the whole thing down with elaborate themes, mobile substrata widgets and tweaks the more chance you have of running into problems.

Cydia seems to be a bit slow and flaky but gets the job done although I really think it needs a major overhaul to bring it up to speed with Rock which I tried for the first time this jailbreak.

3. 213rules thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I guess I went overboard with all the themes, and sources, and packages. I was trying to make my iPod into not just an iPod touch, but my own personalized iPod touch. I might just install Cydia again just to get those few tweaks, not the 20+ things I got. In fact, I'll start right now. I hope it all works out in the end.

4. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

try rock. it's actually not bad...i got the 32gb 3rd gen. i probably restored it x5 so far due to curiosity :]
    you should definitely keep it jailbroken ^_^

5. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Im with you on this one, after a while, i went vanilla, about right after 3.0, it just wasnt worth the effort, and i wanted stability, something jailbreaking never really offered (though it was really my fault for screwing around with it)

6. McBeats macrumors 6502a

i was doin good so far with my jailbroken ipod touch 2g on 3.1.2, for 2 weeks, easy and still pretty zippy... up til today, my ipod cant sync to itunes or any other 3rd party comp programs... looks like i have no choice but to restore... damnit! all those apps i downloaded i gotta download again... not too bummed, but kind of a pain in the behind to get it back up n running again.

7. 213rules thread starter macrumors member

Well, I went back to a jailbroken iPod a few weeks ago (man I don't do what I say), and I think I figured out the problem. I used the All sources thing, and half of them were broken, destroying Cydia.

8. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

Here's a tip. Only install sources that you need.