Having xbox connection issues with airport extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by front2back, Nov 10, 2011.

1. front2back macrumors newbie

Just got this new xbox s with the built in wireless and I can't get this thing to connect to my airport extreme. I feel like I tried everything to get this thing connected. My old xbox with the wireless adapter connects every time.

Any help would be appreciated

2. spacedrabbit macrumors member

Never tried it with an Xbox, so I'll need some more information on what you've tried and if you receive any error messages.

Do other devices connect to the airport wirelessly? Does the xbox work on a wired connection?

3. front2back thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried Connecting Manually, hooked up with a wire (did connect), restarting router

Yes, I have another xbox 360 that uses a adpater that is able to connect wirelessly, which is this http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wire...7NB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320969194&sr=8-1. Also I have a laptop that connects wirelessly to it.

After i run the test to connect this message will come up

Your wireless network is secured with a WEP key or WPA passphrase. Your console may be using the wrong one
    On your Pc, go to your router configuration webpage and write down your wireless network's WEP key or WPA passphrase

4. tootall macrumors regular

I saved myself some trouble and purchased the "connect360" app on iTunes, you will be up and running in less than a minute! (works great!!!)

5. spacedrabbit macrumors member

Switch to WPA2 personal on the airport if it already isn't on. Newer wireless devices like it better sometimes. Otherwise, turn off wifi password and try again. Check that the airport doesnt need a firmware update as well

6. jctebo macrumors newbie

Changing settings to Wpa helped me set up my Xbox

Thanks for the tip of changing the network. That helped me as well.

I used the airport utility iPad app and change my network from wep to Wpa. The Xbox then recognizes my network and connected right away.

Note: if your airport ssid has the same name as your old network, press Y on the xbox on the "connect to a network" screen to forget the network and re-scan. That tripped me up for a sec....