Hawaii girl moving to Canada

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by LostSt4r, May 14, 2009.

1. LostSt4r macrumors newbie

So in a few months i'm turning 18, note to you all I've lived in Hawaii my whole life and absolutely hated every part of it so I'm moving to Canada (Prince George) and wanted to post somewhere hopefully where there's also a lot of Canadians who can give me advice on how I can adapt living there (I have a house and income to survive) but since I'll be going by the time it's already Fall I'm pretty sure the highest temperature there won't even be the same as the lowest temperature here.

I'm not sure how bad it is in Prince George but hopefully I can keep all my fingers and toes for my first winter there. :D

2. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

Good luck shopping for winter clothes. I don't have any helpful advice. But the good news is that frost bite is covered under the universal health care. ;)

3. LostSt4r thread starter macrumors newbie

Indeed.. I've been looking at winter clothing online but the prices scare me, is it even worth buying online or would I be able to find good quality clothing there cheaper?

4. acurafan macrumors 6502a

5. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

Normally you can find anything cheaper online. But when it comes to winter clothes, fit is very important. So unless you are a very easy size to fit, I would check out the stores.

I am sure the Canadian clothing stores have the best stuff you are going to find. Regional clothing shops normally carry the best products for the area... normally. I just wouldn't go Northface crazy just yet. A lot of their price is just paying for the name. Although some of their stuff is nice.

6. LostSt4r thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha yeah I don't think my bf will trust me with his car since I can't drive manual (From what he told me there's 1 to none automatic cars there?) Kinda made me wish I learned how to drive on manual instead

Yeah the only reason I was hoping to do shopping before I moved is because I live here in Hawaii where winter clothing is almost non existent plus the clothes I have would be like running around in snow with only underwear on xD so I guess I'll have to figure something out for that.

7. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

yeah, I guess Ski Shops don't exist in Hawaii do they?:D

Just wear many layers of CrazyShirts and go shopping the first day you arrive. ;)

8. LostSt4r thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll keep that in mind.. and sorry about the double post I don't know how to quote 2 posts.. >< someone tell me how lol.

9. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

There is a little button just to the right of the quote button. It lets you click multiple posts.

10. dmz macrumors regular

dmz

Canada, eh?

Buy your clothes here - in Canada. Prince George in the fall is not that cold, but it sure gets cold in winter! Fit is important, and fashion is not, so wait 'til you get here and buy your clothes locally. And relax - cars here are no different from cars in the US - we have those new-fangled automatic transmissions too!

Welcome to Canada!

dmz

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Fall will be beautiful. http://www.theweathernetwork.com/statistics/C02098

B.C. is the most temperate Province in all of Canada. You'll love it, the seasons, the variety, all the things you are lacking in Hawaii.

Can I live in your room, when you leave? :eek:

12. LostSt4r thread starter macrumors newbie

I see well I knew it would be a good idea to get advice first. :p

As for my room I doubt my family would like that :p sorry but really don't move here, a visit is fine but I know most people from the mainland etc that move into condos next to mine never stay here long.

Anyway thanks for all the posts, I need to get back to selling off my stuff (4 months seems long now lol)

13. James L macrumors 6502a

Ummm... no. Your boyfriend is out to lunch. Automatics all over the place.

The only question I have is...

Why Prince George?

:D

14. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

When I was a freshman in college, one of my roommates was a kid from Hawaii. Mel had never been off the islands before. My other roommate was a kid from Buffalo. Those two were constantly arguing over the thermostat. The control was on Rog's side so he won most of the arguments. Plus he was a lot bigger and stronger. I'll always remember poor Mel completely bundled up in full winter kit (gloves, hat, scarf, etc) cramming for finals while Rog and I were busy destroying brain cells.

15. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I'm curious... what was so bad about Hawaii? You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Canada is a lot of fun and you'll learn to love hockey :D

Good luck and have fun!

16. LostSt4r thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the island I live on I consider bad mostly since there's absolutely nothing to do unless your a beach bum and I'm not, it's also expensive to live here and finding a job is near impossible. Our island has 1 shopping CENTER, no such things as malls here and being a girl that's not ok with me. I had to edit and put this because it just popped into my brain, another thing I hate is the fact that if you want to run away your stuck cus cars can't drive through water xD

As for why Prince George, my bf currently lives there. My other reasons for leaving what you people call "A Paradise" is because I hate humid weather, I prefer the cold (I don't know what real cold is) but if it means being bundled up in a full winter kit then so be it lol, I've never seen snow or been in temperatures under 55F (12C) but hopefully my hate for warm weather will help me endure it :p

17. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Nope, I don't like hot weather either, but that -18 is going to feel like -35 with wind chill... So you just might die :)

18. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

Well, you will have fun. People will think you're cool and ask you a million questions.

19. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

*gasp* And I read somewhere that Hawaii has the largest number of Mac users of any U.S. state! :D

Guess I'll be taking your place, then. ;)

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Are you in Ni'ihau or something, or are you even further out than that?

Oh, and check out this post-code: ahem.

21. snberk103 macrumors 603

Ummm..... I don't want to pour any cold water (pun intended) onto your plans, but..... Canadians actually have an application process for people who want to move here. So, when you say you are "moving" do you mean you're coming for an extended visit, or are you thinking of applying for residency? They will ask you these things when you arrive in the country. If you enter as a tourist, you may be asked to prove that you have the means to get back to the US. If you are here as a tourist, you are not allowed to work, open a bank account, etc etc.

If you are planning on entering as an immigrant, I believe you need to apply before entry. We work on a point system. You get points for degrees of education, job skills, knowledge of french (which you don't actually need in PG - PG is what we in BC (British Columbia) call Prince George). Once you have the magic number of points, you can get landed immigrant status.

Unless you have applied for immigration status, you should just plan on visiting your BF in PG. PG is not the, umm - prettiest - of cities. another thing you will have to get used to is the short days in winter. Really short, and really grey.

You will clear customs in Vancouver, likely. You should plan on spending a day or two there to go winter clothes shopping. Start with the Sears. The absolutely most important thing is to get proper socks, followed by footwear. Do Not wear cotton socks in the winter. Get wool or acrylic (fleecy). Once your feet are wet and cold, you will never get warm. Then get proper shoes that will keep you feet dry and warm (in that order). Everything else you will figure out as you go.

When reading about temperatures here, just remember we have (mostly) gone metric. So, -1C is about 30F. But metric degrees are nearly twice as much as a F degree. Use google to convert to get a feel for the different scales. You can type in the google search bar " 4C in F " or vice-versa and google will convert for you.

See this blog for an American couple's experiences moving to Victoria, the capital of BC.

Good Luck, eh?!

22. LostSt4r thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, I'm on Kauai and lmao @ the link, I have such a kinky post code compared to my current one :D

Yes I am planning to get residency and live there from now on, I don't mind the con's of moving there at all, my family just wants to get rid of me :p but also I want to be away from my comfort zone and experience new things :) I'm still young and hopefully this will teach me new things since living here your limited on things you can try out.

Also thanks for this long post :) I was hoping someone would post a more detailed sentence about how things work there since I'm still doing research on me being able to live there.

23. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I agreed there isn't much to do at night on Kauai maybe hang out at Dukes cafe? I love the hula pie, i dream about it every night; add in the napali coast and i'm set :p

24. snberk103 macrumors 603

The "how things work here" is actually pretty easy. With all due respect to our southern cousins, most Americans think Canada is just like the US, except cleaner, more polite, safer, with a bit of an accent, and we don't sell beer in our corner stores. That said.... I've been to PG only once, so can't speak to what life is like there. But my wife had a job that took her there often. I'll bet they have a page on wikipedia, as well as their own city pages. I noticed you haven't addressed in your post how you are planning on getting residency.... if that's for privacy reasons, thats fine and I'll quit prying from here on out.... but if you think you are going to arrive at immigration in Vancouver, and get your landed immigrant papers by simply declaring that you would like to move here..... well, don't clear out your bedroom there. I'm not trying to be a party pooper, but I don't want you to have your first Canadian experience being turned back at the border. So, please do some research there and get some good advice. If you are a native (as in aboriginal) Hawaiian, you may have better luck. There are some quirky treaty rights that allow First Nations to cross the border.

'Nuff said about immigration.

British Columbia (BC) is a great place to live if you like outdoor activities. The province (like a state) has everything from sub-arctic tundra to temperate rain-forests to deserts. The bulk of the shopping and culture is in the SW corner, what we call the Lower Mainland - where Metro Vancouver is located. PG is very far away, geographically, climatically, and culturally. I think they have a symphony there. But its basically a logging town. You will notice very few PG-ers have leapt into this conversation, so I think we can assume that the Mac crowd up there is thin too.

Canada, at least this part of the country, speaks English. We drive the same cars (though sometimes the model names are different) and wear the same clothes. For the colder seasons, think "layers". That is, a tee-shirt, then a shirt, then a light fleecy or sweater then a coat. You take as many layers off as you need at any one time. For wet locations (like PG) you make sure your outer layer is water resistant. No such thing as water proof in a rain forest. Canadians love to talk about the weather, even more than hockey (except during Stanley Cup finals).

There is a university in PG, UNBC (University of Northern British Columbia). We have universal health insurance. Which means that after you have become a resident you pay a nominal fee to the province, and you are entitled to free basic health care throughout the province. You don't pay to see a doctor or be admitted to a hospital. Its great in theory, in practice there are some issues, but I wouldn't trade it for anything else. At this point a bunch of Canadians are going to jump in and list all the evils and ills of a socialized medical insurance system. That's the other thing you will have to learn, Canadians love to complain. We complain about the Air Lines, the Government, the Banks, everything. Yet, we are listed as one of the Happier Nations. Go figure. Also, you will learn about passive aggression. Hard to explain, but you'll soon recognize it.

Beer, wine, liquor are not sold in grocery stores, gas stations, corner stores. Drinking age is 18. The length of the day changes seasonally as you go further north. PG is, by your standards, pretty far north. In June the days are over 17 hours long. Its glorious. in December, they are not quite 7.5 hours long. Look up SAD in wikipedia (seasonal affection disorder).

During the winter months it generally rains, and snows. On average PG gets a 2 or more feet of rain (or equivalent water if snowing) - per month.

See the the PG historical weather page here. Remember my previous advice about footwear.

Personally, I wouldn't move to PG (apologies to your BF), but it is central to a lot of places that I would like to go a visit. North to the Yukon - worth the trip. West to Hazeltons, Kitimat, Prince Rupert. East to the Peace Country (named for the river, not because of a philosophy.)