Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
It's just one area. The rest of the island, and the smaller islands, are fine.

But yeah, if someone is still living next door to that thing... what the heck are they thinking?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I saw blue flames on TV... best to always avoid blue flames
But they're colder than red flames! The people that make "cool daylight" light bulbs said so!

Seriously though, I saw a map the other day and as mentioned, it's a really tiny area and certainly isn't the whole island. Yes, get away from an active volcano, but there's currently no need to try to evacuate the entire island.

Last edited:

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Watched a report on this last night. It’s one small corner of the big island that is having issues. Like a few square miles at most. The rest of the big island, and all the other islands, are fine.

Reactions: old-wiz

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I live about 23 miles from the east rift zone eruption, and for me it might as well not be happening. (I'm not talking about people I know who are losing their houses, the displaced people, etc.)

I was born and raised here, and this isn't my first eruption rodeo. In my lifetime, this same area (the lower east rift zone) has erupted twice (1955, 1960). Now it's doing it again, and the only people surprised are those who know nothing about the area, or volcanos.

There's a huge giant s-load of nonsense about this eruption out there on the web. I ran into something claiming that the eruptions were deliberately caused in order to create a giant tsunami that would wipe out the west coast.

If you want to follow the eruption, here's an excellent place to start -- daily updates, with map, from the people who know best, the USGS staff who have been following this volcano for decades.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/multimedia_maps.html

None of this means that we aren't all concerned. Trouble on our island is not a good thing. For my part, I get several texts and emails each day, from Civil Defense (the County) and USGS, with updates. And yes, at our house we have the proper respirators, just in case something orders of magnitude greater than anything seen yet produces gas that blows in our direction.

For amazing video:

https://vimeo.com/user17788687

Mick is a friend and edits on an iMac. He's likely to lose his house.

A few more useful links:

https://hilo.hawaii.edu/natural-hazards/volcanoes/riftzones.php
(this site also shows active alerts)

This TV station has the best coverage (and a fabulously good local reporter, too -- Mileka Lincoln)

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/

For some perspective (as other posters have noted):

what people imagine lava.jpg

[doublepost=1527530381][/doublepost]Just adding a couple more links. One thing I learned from this eruption that I did not know, is that there seems to be an international agreement regarding remote sensing resources, to wit:

"The International Charter Space and Major Disasters was activated on 7 May by the US Geological Survey (USGS) on behalf of USGS Hawaii Volcano Observatory."

https://sentinel.esa.int/web/sentinel/news/-/article/copernicus-sentinels-monitor-hawaii-s-volcano

and

https://www.facebook.com/EuropeanSp...54912575666/10156130381935667/?type=3&theater

Last edited:

TheTruth101

Suspended
Mar 15, 2017
I was there a year ago, at the Big Island for 3 weeks and I stayed about a mile from where the lava is coming out. It is not the end of the world at all, it is in a very remote part of the island a few blocks wide and the process is super slooooow. And happens all the time, every 20 years or less there is this sort of eruption and everyone in the island already know, that is how the islands are formed.

There is actually a river of lava flowing every day during the entire year that you can visit. More dangerous is the hurricane season every year in the U.S.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I was there a year ago, at the Big Island for 3 weeks and I stayed about a mile from where the lava is coming out. It is not the end of the world at all, it is in a very remote part of the island a few blocks wide and the process is super slooooow. And happens all the time, every 20 years or less there is this sort of eruption and everyone in the island already know, that is how the islands are formed.

There is actually a river of lava flowing every day during the entire year that you can visit. More dangerous is the hurricane season every year in the U.S.
Well . . . not exactly "a few blocks wide."

Several thousand people live in the area. And at the moment, the lava is flowing very quickly (about 200 yards per hour).

Latest maps, if anybody cares:

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/multimedia_maps.html

Notice the blue lines, which show the "path of steepest descent." These represent the most likely path of a flow that gets near them.

This just in: webcam time-lapse video from the Gemini North observatory on Mauna Kea. Scrub through until about 1:56 screen display (=time of day) and check out an explosion from Kilauea.

https://www.gemini.edu/sciops/teles...mauna-kea/cloud-cam/bazfoo/South/20180528.mp4

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Hawaii is not being destroyed at all. It is just going through some "growing pains". All this is how the island, the whole island chain in fact, were created and are continuing to be created.

True, but it is devastating for the families that have lost homes.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I was up in a doors-off helicopter last week. Here are a few shots. Although, obviously, the lava channels appear stationary, they certainly are not. The lava is flowing very fast -- water-river fast, sometimes.

The eruption appears - for the moment - stable. In other words, the main flow has become "channelized," which means that almost all the lava being pumped from the vent is following a small set of channels into the ocean. Anything can happen, of course, but for the last week or ten days the flows have covered no new land. They've sure as heck made new land, though, out in the ocean.

[doublepost=1529364203][/doublepost]Here.

I don't know whether Facebook links will work, but here's a short video that shows you how fast the lava moves.

Attachments

• 2018 06 12 471.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 163
  • 2018 06 12 032.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 195
  • 2018 06 12 214.jpg
    2018 06 12 214.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 206
  • 2018 06 12 304.jpg
    2018 06 12 304.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 212
  • 2018 06 12 568.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 151
  • 2018 06 12 620.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 180
Last edited:

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Just one more. Last night I went on Mauna Kea, to about 10,500', to a position where Hilo and the eruption were nicely aligned. ("Went" means 90 minutes of extremely bad road, navigable by 4 WD in low range only.)

Attachments

• 2018 06 18 110.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 221
Reactions: Dc2006ster

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Hey, do you know what it was like when we were a US Territory? Guys got drafted, we paid Federal income tax, but had zero representation on Congress (we had a "delegate" in the House of Representatives, who could make speeches but had no vote; no Senators), our Governor was appointed by whoever the President was, the Secretary of the Interior could veto any law made by the Territorial Legislature, we could not vote in Presidential elections, and so on.

I'll take statehood any day.

Of course if you're talking about the Hawaiian Kingdom, that's another matter.

Last edited:

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
One man's "destroy" is another's "revitalization". Up to the point that the tectonic plate moves away from the hotspot far enough to stop the magma from coming rising under the Big Island, it's really more a creation than a destruction. Once the volcanos on that island stop blowing, then the eventual and inevitable destruction will commence.

Of course, it will take a bit of time for all this to happen....

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
My friend Mick put up a nice video yesterday. Among other things, it shows you how fluid and fast moving the currently-being-erupted magma is.

OcelotWreak

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Canada
i guess we can look forward to new beaches and bays to go swimming in 100 years from now, but I'm very sad that some of the lovely spots I went swimming and hiking through a few years ago are now "under lava." :-(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.