hawaii questions + some random questions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puckhead193, May 29, 2008.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

So i'm going to kauai and mauai on Saturday and was wondering if anyone had any tips/things to see/do?
    In maui i want to go to haleakala at sunrise, is it true that its freezing and need a winter coat? How did you dress?
    What about the 7 pools? good/bad?
    Any recommendations for restaurants? In maui we are staying at the grand wailea and in kauai the Marriott Resort & Beach Club
    Anything else i should pack out of the ordinary?
    Also the random's: how bad is united airlines? :p
    Anyone surf? I see the new fashion is to wear a rashguard to stop sunburn which i thought might be useful for at the beach/snorkeling. are they comfy or annoying? How is it supposed to fit? tight like under armour?
    Any good DS games?

2. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

I haven't been to Maui since I was five (IOW, 30+ years).

We did go to Kauai a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I believe that Marriott you're staying at is in Lihue. Had a drink at the bar there (Duke's) and even though Lihue is not a picturesque town I'd say the Marriott's in a pretty nice setting facing a lagoon. Don't miss Waimea Canyon and keep driving uphill beyond that for a nice hike and a beautiful overlook of the Kalalau Valley. Kapaa has the widest variety of restaurants (there's a good Thai place on the main highway, do not miss Kintaro for sushi, the famous vegan place in downtown Kapaa is also worth a stop for lunch). The beaches in Kauai are probably better for surfing then they are for swimming or snorkeling. Polihale Beach way on the west side of the island should be a good surf spot -- feels like the end of the world.

3. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Bring warm clothing for Haleakala at sunrise, its is quite cold. I would probably bring a fairly warm jacket.

The seven pools are closed alot (dead animal, injury, whatever), so I'd be prepared. You could always drive the road to Hana. There are quite a few waterfalls and nice places to stop along the road.

If you like steak there is a Ruth's Chris at the shops at Wailea, excellent steaks, but be prepared to spend $200-$400 for a dinner for four. There are quite a few other restaurants around. You could always go up to Lahaina one evening. There are quite a few shops and restaurants up there.

You could also take a boat ride and snorkel at Molokini, it is pretty cool out there and the snorkeling is pretty good.

I probably wouldn't wear a rash guard. I'm more of just the sunscreen type. They usually fit pretty tight, I mean you'll want to be able to move in it, but you don't want it flapping around too much.

I don't know any DS games but a good set of Shure sound isolating headphones would do you well on the airplane.

4. Queso macrumors G4

I stayed in Lahaina back in 2002 and loved it. You're a bit late in the year for whale watching, but dolphin watching should still be possible. Snorkelling or better yet diving is an absolute must. Molokini has already been mentioned, but even just off the coast of western Maui there are some great shallow reefs with turtles and all sorts of fish.

5. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

in kauai.. go to the 'end of the road' and watch the sunset from the beach.. its such a secluded and surreal setting.. it was very beautiful and something you couldn't experience elsewhere.. i've only been there once.. and its my single favorite place to be in the world.. the beach is called Ke’e beach and its located on the north shore of kauai.. at the very end of highway 560.. have fun!

6. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

how cold would u say? like 40s/50s? Coming from a fellow bostonian would i be cold lol I heard there's like a inside place you could go if your cold, is this true?

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you meant the sunrise at the mountain top, there will be frost. It's THAT cold.

8. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

g-d dam

9. Dandaman macrumors 6502

Yeah, it gets cold. Not sure how cold, but I wore a simple hoodie sweater and wanted another layer to keep warm.

I'd recommend this book:

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/maui.html

Our whole trip revolved around that book.

One place we did go to eat was Mama's Fish House (or something like that). It's a bit of a drive from where you are, but you can probably swing by after Haleakala. Great atmosphere, great view, great food. Hard to get a reservation though. The place is busy.

10. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

http://www.wizardpub.com/ is a company that makes a good guidebook for each of the islands. Even if you don't buy the book, you can check out their webpage for the "stuff changed since we went to press" updates section.

I haven't done Maui, but since it is a 10,000ft summit, it won't be warm. The other remark of it being in the 40's is probably on track...I was in a B&B on Kona last November at 2,000ft elevation and it was 60-62F at breakfast. Personally, I'd wear long sleeves, polartech and my Gor-Tex rain shell (windproof) and plan to keep moving (this combination is good enough for 40F when I'm hiking...and "survivable" at 32F). If you're going with a tour company, they might provide heavy jackets.

I'll amplify the Ruth Chris steakhouse comment: I generally describe this chain as "A good $25 steak for only $50". Expect a nice dinner to run $100/person. Personally, I've become more inclined over the years to risk trying a local "no name" place than frequenting yet another highly predicable US Chain, regardless of the price tier.

On Kauai,

I'd recommend that you try to get reservations at the Beach House Restaurant‎ (5022 Lawai Rd, Koloa, HI (808) 742-1424‎) if they still have any availability. Its generally considered one of the very best on the island and I'd personally rank it substantially better than Ruth-Chris.

Down south (Poipu region) and on the north side of Poipu Road (nearly across the street from the Marriot), there's a shopping mall. One of the restaurants in here is Keoki's Paradise (in the same mall as Puka Dog, see below). They were pretty typical "Resort Destination Restaurant" fare; I'd go there again if I had to, but I'd not make it a point to go there (if you know what I mean). Pretty much 'ditto' for the Poipu Beach Broiler (south side of Poipu road, also very close to the Marriot). We also went all the way up to Kapaa for Scotty's Beachside BBQ‎, which was a nice change of 'red meat' after several days of good seafood.

FYI, I think we tried to eat in Koloa town at one point, but this area was constantly busy with lousy parking, so we ended up going elsewhere.

Down south (Poipu region) and in that aformentioned shopping mall, there's a small "hole in the wall" sized hot dog stand named "Puka Dog". Its a good quick lunch, although not much seating.

Another good local lunch opportunity is a "Shrimp Truck" that parks on Hooma Road (which goes out to the Beach House restaurant, above). As of last November (2007), it was parked right next to the bridge over Waikomo Stream, but its hard to say exactly where it is now, because the area west of your hotel is under massive construction.

Kauai Construction - near Poipu: As of November 07, the North-South section of Poipu Road that's south of Koloa Town (usually identified on the maps as Rt 520) was open, down to where Poipu Road crossed the Waikomo Stream to swing east (towards the Marriot). At this point, Rt 520 was open to an ugly "3 way" intersection that connected it to Hooma Road to the west (which goes to the Beach House Restaurant and the blow hole) and Hoonani Road to the east (which connects up with Kapili Road, where it rejoins to Poipu Road.

BTW, when heading south and right after you get "out of" the worst of this construction and onto Hoonani Road is where you'll find Koala Landing, which is a combination { boat ramp / snorkeling / scuba shore diving } site. There's limited free parking here, but it is one of the better protected sites around for going snorkeling on the South side of Kauai. Its the gravel road that disappears downhill just before the stone wall starts as the road runs along the shoreline.

-hh

11. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Yes, Haleakala will be cold. Around 40-50.

The seven sacred pools is basically a river that meets with the ocean. You can swim in it, and there are many places that you can jump from cliffs into water. Be careful though, there is only one (or maybe 2...) places that you are aloud to go swimming at. There is also a place to hike. I think that its about 7 miles, and its one of the best ones on the island. The only reason that you might not go is because its far away from where your staying. About a 2 hour drive on one of the craziest roads we have. Its on the other side of Haleakala. I would defiantly go there.

I went snorkeling with my class a week or two ago at Molokini, it was super fun.

I dont surf, but I always wear a rash guard.... I dont see alot of people here with it on, but there are a few. Wear one if you want to, dont see why not.

The Grand Wailea pools are amazing. They have so many water slides..... Great choice!

Any thing specific that you want to do?

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The Na Pali Coast is awesome.

We didn't do the trails, but we did do the helicopter tour. Amazing, and they give you a personalised video of it after.

Not cheap though.

13. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

My family owns a house on Maui (Kaanapali), so if you plan on making any trips to that side of the island, let me know and I will give you a ton of stuff to do.

Hali'imaile General Store is a great place to eat. So good and the people are nice. It is expensive but what isn't on Maui.

Cheeseburger in Paradise (although I think it is called something different down by Wailea) is excellent as well.

But you should do the stock touristy things on Maui. Snorkel (or dive) is excellent anywhere on Maui. Shopping is always great, if that is your thing. Golfing is excellent, but expensive.

14. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

Thanks for the tips everyone!! (i'm taking notes, well copying and pasting in MS Word!)

is going to haleakala at sunrise worth it? Is it a hard trip to take at 4 something in the morning. Are there tour companies. I would love to bike down but my family isn't up for it :(

i know we want to take a helicopter tour of wameia canyon ( i def. spelled that wrong) last time we went, i was like 5 and fell asleep on it :eek: At the time Spillberg was filming a little movie called Jurassic park and we flew over the set which happened to be next to our hotel, (which he stayed at and we would seem him from time to time -- a few days after we left for home there was a huge hurricane and was trapped and was stuck in the ballroom as the A/C unit fell straight through the main part of the rooms) and the rest of the hotel was trashed long with millions of dollars worth of art

fishing for like at most half a day
    scuba pref. at both islands
    ATVs :rolleyes:
    i would like to try my hand at surfing
    spa in maui - anyone here get a hot lava rock massage? Is it good? Better then a Swedish message.
    i def. can't wait for p.o.g. and kona coffee :D

15. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Unfortunately I have never been. I am a morning person, but not that early :D . A family friend of mine did bike down it and she said it was amazing but scary, you can get going pretty fast down it. I am sure it is worth going, I have heard nothing but good stuff about it.

But don't worry there are plenty of tour companies willing to take you up there. When you are renting a car or in the airport just look for a flyer both and you will find plenty of companies.

16. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

For diving on Kauai, I used 'Bubbles Below'. I'd go out with them again.
    - They're nice small 6-pack type outfit operating out of Port Allen. The operations boss Linda is well respected. BTW, their freshwater rinse hose goes through their boats manifold, which makes it nice 'n toasty :) They do have to launch their diveboat each day, but since you're a small group, loading up goes quickly and the staff is efficient.

Edit: whoops! I just remembered that you're going to Maui, not the Big Island!
    Oh well...its already written and someone will find this useful anyway. At least enjoy the Manta Ray video :)

For the Big Island (Kona), I used "Kona Honu" which was a big disappointment. I will NOT use them again.

Kona Honu's boat was overly crowded, half of which was their own rental gear stored onboard. No excuse #1.

The skills of the actual dive staff were generally quite good, but I found it extremely frustrating that their "meet at dock" protocol required all us customers to stand around for 30-45 minutes while they got the boat ready. Absolutely unacceptable to make customers stand around that long because of their operation's inefficiency...there's no excuse for them to not have all of the rental gear set up before any of the customers arrive. Strike #2.

Finally, they used HP80 tanks (3500psi), but then short-filled them to only ~3000psi, which meant that they roughly the capacity of an old 68s or 72s. Starting all their customers short on air helped them enforce their "1 hr max" bottom time rule, as it forced most of them to be back within 40 minutes. I was probably one of only 2 or 3 divers (out of 25 onboard) that could make 60 minutes from their short fill. They even had the audacity to make a big deal out of how much of a nice guy they were in providing one heavy-breathing customer with an HP100 tank at no charge. It was also short-filled, which meant that he ended up with the ~80ft^3 that the original HP80 tank SHOULD have had. Strike #3.

FWIW, I would recommend getting in the night "Manta" dive with some outfit...it was a lot of fun. I have a ~6 minute underwater video that I put together from my visit, just click here.

Consider visiting Hans & Marsha Eckhert at the Lyman Coffee Farm to pick up some of his Kona coffee. Tell him that Hugh & Margaret say "Hi" and we enjoyed staying at their B&B last Thanksgiving...don't know how many years it will take, but we'll be back.

BTW, you didn't hear this from me, but Hans is an old LA County Dive Instructor and knows some good (free!) shore diving spots. Perhaps in casual conversation, he might reveal a few, or suggest where you can just rent a tank and save the cost of a diveboat by doing a shore dive. :D

-hh

17. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

The Kauai company that we used was "Inter-Island", which flies out of the Port Allen airport.

They fly the Hughes 500 helicopters ("Magnum PI" teardrop), and they offer a "Door OFF" flight which is definitely the way to go for great views.

Because of weather cancellations and customer cancellations (they all need to only fly full, due to costs), be sure to book your flight during the earliest part of your stay ... that way, you still have time to reschedule in case something arises.

hh

18. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

thanks for the tips -hh! I don't think we will be flying with the door off as last time my mom was griping my brother arm so tight it left a mark! lol

19. bbbensen macrumors 6502

I live on Maui, so I cant say that I have done all of the tourist stuff. :eek:

I know that the Grand Wailea has a spa...... But thats it......