hawaiian vacation - hotels

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puckhead193, Jan 8, 2008.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

So my family wants to go to hawaii (again) around June-ish. So I've been browsing the net on where to stay and what to do etc. We want to go to Maui and more then likely picked a hotel but suggestions are welcomed. We want to go back to kauai. We were their years ago and had a blast but unfortunately the week after we left the hotel (Westin Kauai) was destroyed from a hurricane. Actually at the time Jurassic Park was being filmed and the crew along with Spielberg were trapped at the hotel. anyways we need suggestions on where to stay. Any ideas? also attractions/things to do?
    thanks

2. martin1000 macrumors regular

On Kauai, you must go on a Na Pali coast sailing tour. Absolutely amazing!!!

About 9 months ago, I used this group, http://www.kauaiboats.com/. Fantastic.

Also do a little light hiking and check out Queen's Bath. And bring your swim trunks. This area has big lava pools that you can swim in. Mark this as a definite.

3. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8130/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Yeah I was like 5 when I went and sorta remember it.what hotel did you stay at?

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed! My wife and I did this on our honeymoon, and it was fantastic. If you are going to the Big Island, I can heartily recommend Kona Village. We stayed there as well and it was fantastic.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We stayed at the ResortQuest Kauai Beach at Makaiwa back in October. Decent place just south of Kapa'a, so it's centrally located. It used to be a Courtyard by Marriott, so nothing fancy, but we thought it was a nice place to stay. No swimming beach right there, so be forewarned about that.

Take a drive up Waimea Canyon...very cool.

Na Pali coast is amazing. Kayak it if you can (June is the very beginning part of the season) and have the desire to paddle for 15 miles. Or boat it. Good hiking there, too.

Queen's Bath, as mentioned, is a neat little hike.

6. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm also planning a Hawaii trip in June. Know any good places to stay/things to do in Oahu?

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

This is all in Honolulu:

The Sheraton Royal Hawaiian Hotel has an EXCELLENT champaign brunch every Sunday. I highly recommend it. I think its like $30 per person and the spread is incredible. Plus all you can drink champaign and mimosa.

Also Eggs n' Things has some of the best coffee and breakfast in Honolulu.
    http://www.eggsnthings.com/
    If you're from there mainland you'll have no trouble waking up early due the the time zone to get there and chow down.

The Westin Moana Surfrider Hotel has a terrific and relaxing afternoon tea.

Visit the Apple Store in the Ala Moana Shopping center.

Across the street from the shopping center is Ala Moana Beach which is gorgeous and always less busy than Waikiki Beach.

I've spent a lot of time in Hawaii, its one of my favorite places on earth. As soon as you get off the plane the air (even at the airport) smells very sweet. :) Its paradise.

8. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

pearl harbor - get their early. The way it worked when I went was you got a number and when they call your number you get to leave on a small boat and take you over to the memorial. On the ticket it gives you an est. on the time. Its very crowed with limited seating from what i remember.
    diamond head - awesome view but bring water and a flash light. The path i took (is their more then one) has you go through some tunnels/stairs. Also go early to avoid the heat.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Love Kauai. My wife's parents have a time share there (in Princeville) and we're going back on the 20th of this month. I'd recommend the hotel in Princeville on Hanalei Bay from what I've seen of it and heard, it's fantastic. It's on the North shore of the island but Kauai isn't that big to begin with and the views from up there are gorgeous, plus the drive is great.

And yes, the Napali Coast is gorgeous. We did the snorkel/dolphin cruise.

10. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

My family and I love Maui (so much we bought a house there). If you go back to Maui stay near Lahaina. Kaanapali would be your best bet. I have stayed at the Marroit and the Westin. Both are great hotels. I like the Westin more because the beach out front is much more user friendly (not much coral).

What to do:
    Eat! (Lahaina offers some of the best restaurants with the best views in the world)
    Snorkle (head up to Kapalua, a great place to snorkle)
    Take a boat trip to Molokini and snorkle there.

If you want more, let me know. I have plenty of things.

11. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Whenever I look for hotels, I go to tripadvisor.com. Great, honest, hotel reviews and photos.

I've never been to Hawaii, but I'd love to go someday.

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

As for Oahu, we stayed at the ResortQuest Waikiki Beach Hotel. Last major one at the east end of Waikiki, next to Kapiolani Park and the zoo. A bit quieter down there, and a nice view of the whole crescent of the beach (at least from our room).

I'll second afternoon tea at the Moana Surfrider...a fun thing us Americans don't get to do every day.

Dinner at Alan Wong's. Third floor of some random building not on the beach, but one of the top restaurants anywhere in the Pacific...amazing.

Snorkling at Hanauma Bay. Gets crowded, but a good snorkel spot if you get there early in the day. Snorkling is also decent right off Waikiki.

Pearl Harbor is something everyone should see, but get the early. Otherwise it's a several hour wait. The USS Missouri is also there, as is the USS Bowfin (submarine).

We did some sea-kayaking on the Windward Coast at Kailua...that was fun.

Diamond Head is also a fun hike with great views from the top.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

14. nicque macrumors regular

go to oahu and stay at the hilton hawaiian village.

15. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

If you are going to Maui I highly recommend checking out Mama's Fish House. They have a great restaurant with an amazing beach. It's on the north shore right near the start of the road to Hana. We went swimming in the water near the breakers as the waves are crashing all around and then changed in the car and had a great meal. Good times, good times.

http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/