Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
I've recently upgraded to Handbrake version 0.9.5 and I've started encoding using the Apple TV 2 preset. I've noticed that it seems to cause lighting issues with the finished product. Throughout the movies, some scenes appear dark and then all of a sudden light up. Then it darkens again. Anyone else having these issues?

UPDATE: So the issue isn't Handbrake. It's a particular Blu-Ray movie, and Quicktime/iTunes. The final product plays fine on the Apple TV and VLC. It's only when I play the movie in iTunes or Quicktime that the lighting issue occurs, and I'm not sure why. I've yet to test it on my iPhone.

Last edited:

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
So, the movie plays well on the iPhone. Just not in iTunes or Quicktime. ???

Last edited:

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
The Mac uses QuickTime to playback video and the iOS devices use A/V foundation which it newer. Final Cut Pro X is using the new av system.

In the past there were issues with the QuickTime gamma atom but that would affect the whole movie not just certain scenes.

Not sure what your problem is?

What is the format of your Blu-ray? Mpeg-2, Mpeg-4, or VC-1?

You can use mediainfo to check.

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
In the past there were issues with the QuickTime gamma atom but that would affect the whole movie not just certain scenes.

The whole movie is affected. Throughout the entire movie(Star Trek) scenes will darken and lighten as I'm watching them. Only through iTunes & Quicktime, though. It plays perfectly fine on VLC, my Apple TV, and iPhone. Do you think there's a possibility of an update that would normalize the playback iTunes/Quicktime?

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
The whole movie is affected. Throughout the entire movie(Star Trek) scenes will darken and lighten as I'm watching them. Only through iTunes & Quicktime, though. It plays perfectly fine on VLC, my Apple TV, and iPhone. Do you think there's a possibility of an update that would normalize the playback iTunes/Quicktime?

Yeah, that means that it is a QuickTime problem since VLC and iOS use different playback engines. Not sure if Lion will help. If you can, try to play it back in QuickTime 7.6.x and see if the results are like iTunes or VLC.

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
Well, it appears that the issue is with version 0.9.5. When I try encoding with 0.9.4, the issue disappears. I wonder if anyone else sees this, though.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I haven't seen that one, but I get videos that used to play fine, but suddenly have no volume when home shared.

It used to be a big issue until the last Apple TV update, then it got fixed for ATV2, but my iPad and iPhone will not play sound on certain movies when they are being played through homeshare.

Oops I hope that didn't hijack your thread : /

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
As usual, Dynaflash has come to the rescue. So far, the nightly build appears to be working well. Thanks.

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
Update = :(

Well, the Handbrake Nightlies worked for a short bit. I'm still having an issue and I've tried 3 different versions. For now, I'll have to go back to 0.9.4. The only problem is that 0.9.4 can't handle my workaround for foreign language subtitles. I did, however, find a similar thread on the HB forums, but they're solution was no help also. I'm really surprised no one else is experiencing this. Check your HD Blu-Ray rips people. I can't be the only one.

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
I had this problem too. My work around was to use Apple's compressor instead. In case you are interested, you can get it on the App Store now.

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
I had this problem too. My work around was to use Apple's compressor instead. In case you are interested, you can get it on the App Store now.

Interesting. It handles mkv files ok? What about foreign language subtitles? Does it produce files as good as Handbrake? If you can't tell, I'm really unfamiliar with Compressor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.