HBO coming free from cable

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jdblas69, Oct 15, 2014.

1. mic j macrumors 68030

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Your title is misleading...

Nothing in the article says it'll be free. In fact, they talk about "growing" and how it's a potential for a huge revenue stream.

3. mic j macrumors 68030

Might have been better to say "breaking free from cable" but I wouldn't say the title is misleading.

4. ajguckian macrumors newbie

I saw it as freeing itself from the cable companies as well. Pretty happy about this turn of events, and I'm very willing to pay more for the service than what cable charged to access HBO. Pretty sure that's the way they'll go, as it gives people who do pay for cable a cheaper way to gain access, and it will appease the cable companies who take a portion of that. HBO loses a lot of money if the major cable providers decide that they won't offer HBO anymore.

5. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Hopefully this is coming to the UK. Sky has an exclusive on a number of HBO shows, including Game of Thrones. I haven't signed up to a satellite service just for that.

6. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

It wasn’t misleading at all. :)

This is GREAT news, my wife just sent me a message about it!

7. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Mass celebration across the internet. Cord cutters practically screaming triumph. And yet, one key detail is not out yet. Can you guess it? Once it is revealed, I suspect the joy will turn to sorrow, paired with a bunch of "who needs HBO anyway?" and so on.

I'll bet $34-$49/month if it's pretty similar to HBO Go... maybe as low as $29.99/month. Anybody who thinks it will be al-a-carte at about "normal" HBO monthly rates of about $12-$15 will probably only be right if this service is significantly de-toothed vs. HBO and/or HBO Go.

8. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I don't think it will be that expensive. But I'm expecting it to land somewhere in between $15-20.

Everyone is expecting Netflix-pricing and I just want to laugh at them.

9. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Well, HBO does currently offer their content without cable in Netherlands I believe....

Anyways if we want to get an idea of the pricing, we can look there.

Funny you mentioned Netflix. Netflix's goal when they started offering original content, was to 'become HBO before they become us.'

10. Navdakilla macrumors 65816

Now all I need is espn, or sports on demand and I'll cut the cable.

11. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

I agree. I believe it will be [exactly] HBOGO for < $20. That’s a little more than HBO as bundled through most cable/sat providers and it’s _only_ GO services which means limited movies and sporting events vs. cable based HBO (with or without GO), but most series including GOT :)

12. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I hope this is a trend! I have dumped cable and have internet only, but would certainly go for this.

13. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I pay $18 per month

I am currently paying $18 per month. I was paying $9 for 12 months. I am with Verizon FIOS. I would be extremely surprised if it is < $19.95. If so, then a lot of people may simply drop the subscription they are paying the CABLE Operator which could be a problem for HBO. I would hope the service would be the same as HBOGO that I have on my AppleTV. Also, I wonder if they will limit simultaneous streams like Netflix (I have 2). Keep in mind if a lot of people start streaming then the CABLE company may start capping more which could be a serious problem.

14. Cobster macrumors member

Denmark: HBOnordic same Price as Netflix - But lousy app and lousy conditions... One one user online - Netflix allows two...

15. flux73, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

flux73 macrumors 65816

Now if ESPN announces a cable-less subscription, we can start the death countdown for cable TV. When online TV watchers outnumber cable TV, the major sports will all make the move to online. They'd actually be better off cutting out the middle men cable companies.

16. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I have DirecTV, but mainly for watching the NFL and HBO. This is definitely interesting to me as I've been considering dumping my TV provider and going to watch games at a sports bar with friends. Interested in seeing what the price would be.