Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Single sign on doesn't stop the collection of data. Not quite sure why you'd think it would. If Comcast allowed SSO, they would still know when you used the apps that utilize their service since they're still the conduit for the content. They also don't lose control over their customers because of SSO. SSO is a convenience feature, that's all. It doesn't hurt Comcast or any other provider. Most likely, they just don't care enough about the ATV to make the effort. No sense in ascribing malice when plain ole apathy is the most likely answer. They, like everyone, have priorities. The ATV is probably not high on their list, or anyone's list for that matter. Including Apple's.

There's a lot for you to read up on to understand why cable companies and companies streaming content, e.g., Amazon and Netflix, etc., have a lot to fear from Apple TV being successful and used by their customers. To begin with, it's not just about SSO, it's even more about compatibility with the Apple TV App, where they are trying to stop Apple's vision of a single place to access all of your content, so some companies absolutely fear the success of both the App and Apple TV in general.

Comcast is desperately trying to be the hub and anything that encourages folks to route through a central service like Apple TV is a threat to their model. But there's also the control of information which you are not understanding. I've attached a link to an article that explains why Netflix is very worried about letting Apple get the information about viewer habits, etc. It's very simple for them to allow compatibility with ATV SSO and the App, and it's far from "apathy" over the issue, indeed it is the opposite as they have deep concern.

Here's a few things to get you started:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/4038975-apples-unique-compromise-netflix-important

Here's from Business Insider. "But a Comcast app on the Apple TV could theoretically allow Comcast cable subscribers to watch live and on-demand TV on TVs in their house that don't have set top boxes connected to them, which could save them from having to rent a cable box each month."

And here's from Recode :
"The logical answer would be that Netflix thinks helping Apple TV build a smart TV guide — one that knows what you watch and can guess what you might like to watch — could weaken Netflix’s position.

That’s because Netflix has spent a lot of time learning what you watch and learning how to guess what you might like to watch.

If that special sauce becomes less special — if someone else has that information — then Netflix runs the risk of becoming an undifferentiated catalog of TV shows (and a few movies)."

Reactions: 2010mini

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
There's a lot for you to read up on to understand why cable companies and companies streaming content, e.g., Amazon and Netflix, etc., have a lot to fear from Apple TV being successful and used by their customers. To begin with, it's not just about SSO, it's even more about compatibility with the Apple TV App, where they are trying to stop Apple's vision of a single place to access all of your content, so some companies absolutely fear the success of both the App and Apple TV in general.

Comcast is desperately trying to be the hub and anything that encourages folks to route through a central service like Apple TV is a threat to their model. But there's also the control of information which you are not understanding. I've attached a link to an article that explains why Netflix is very worried about letting Apple get the information about viewer habits, etc. It's very simple for them to allow compatibility with ATV SSO and the App, and it's far from "apathy" over the issue, indeed it is the opposite as they have deep concern.

Here's a few things to get you started:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/4038975-apples-unique-compromise-netflix-important

Here's from Business Insider. "But a Comcast app on the Apple TV could theoretically allow Comcast cable subscribers to watch live and on-demand TV on TVs in their house that don't have set top boxes connected to them, which could save them from having to rent a cable box each month."

And here's from Recode :
"The logical answer would be that Netflix thinks helping Apple TV build a smart TV guide — one that knows what you watch and can guess what you might like to watch — could weaken Netflix’s position.

That’s because Netflix has spent a lot of time learning what you watch and learning how to guess what you might like to watch.

If that special sauce becomes less special — if someone else has that information — then Netflix runs the risk of becoming an undifferentiated catalog of TV shows (and a few movies)."
The info is nice and nothing I haven't heard before. But My comment is about the large cable providers like Comcast and SSO, not Netflix and not a Comcast app. As I said in my previous quote, SSO doesn't stop the collection of data and doesn't mean the providers would cede control of their customer since the content is still coming from the provider.

Netflix is a separate issue, so is a provider app. Relevant overall, but tangential to the topic I was discussing.

edit: More than happy to discuss the other issues you broached. It's an interesting topic. Just, as I said, tangential to the topic of the SSO.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Gee. Before the single sign on, I had to individually sign on to every app. Guess what, I survived. I'm sorry to hear that it is such a difficult task that you would rather not use Apple TV then go through that horrific burden of signing on.

You misunderstood me, there are no TV apps from any local providers here in the Netherlands yet they have on Android/on a PC and other hardware.
It's got nothing to do with single sign on, I don't even have a TV App.

xav77

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2011
The TV App has yet to provide direct links to HBO GO for HBO shows, only the WatchAid App does that has fare has I know!

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Still waiting for AT&T Uverse to get with the single sign on.....

AT&T is phasing out Uverse TV service and wants everyone to switch to DirecTV or DirecTV Now. It wouldn't surprise me if they never add SSO to Uverse. From what I have heard if you ever call in to AT&T about your Uverse service they will push you pretty hard to change to DirecTV. I think they are offering some pretty sweet deals to get you to switch as well.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they never add it to DirecTV Now, because they want you to use the DirecTV Now app to watch everything, not the Apple TV app.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
AT&T is phasing out Uverse TV service and wants everyone to switch to DirecTV or DirecTV Now. It wouldn't surprise me if they never add SSO to Uverse. From what I have heard if you ever call in to AT&T about your Uverse service they will push you pretty hard to change to DirecTV. I think they are offering some pretty sweet deals to get you to switch as well.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they never add it to DirecTV Now, because they want you to use the DirecTV Now app to watch everything, not the Apple TV app.

I guess if they took this approach I would just move to one of their competitors that eventually will support it.

LuisRo

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2017
Maybe it's still rolling out. I was watching Eastbound & Down on HBO Go app and was asked mid-episode.

Just as an update I've found what the issue was. Apart from HBO Go I also had installed HBO Now. On my Apple TV, HBO Now was already connected to the TV app and I was using it. In order for HBO Go to work on the TV app I uninstalled HBO Now and changed its status to OFF under Settings -> Apps -> TV -> Connected to TV. Restarted Apple TV and when I opened the TV app it asked me if I wanted to allow HBO Go to use the TV app. Now everything work as it should :)

Reactions: east85
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.