Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluewire

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
Bay Area, California
The Sopranos was two and a half seasons of awesomeness followed by four seasons of wildly inconsistent TV. Nearly every Carmela focused story was unwatchable (ooh ... will she really end up with Furio? Ugh ... the show became a soap opera for awhile.) The show jumped the shark for good with five words: I love you too johnnycakes.

For true brilliance, a show that got better every season, I have two words: The Wire.

"I've been dreaming of those johnnycakes" :p

poe diddley

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
greensboro nc
jonnycakes

yeah i agree as much as i love the sopranos, the episodes dragged on and on with some of the storylines. the jonnycakes bs was a prime example, along with carmella's mid life crisis.
but i do think hbo should offer up their show's on itunes.
it's silly not to.
they don't currently make $1.99 an epsiode of anything considering hbo is like $5 a month extra on the cable bill.
sure, dvd sales net more per episode, but not much more, and people are gonna buy dvd's regardless of itunes offerings-they're just not the same quality, not to mention the special dvd features and such.
come hbo, get onboard-YOU'RE LATE-VERY LATE

iscripter

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Adding HBO and Showtime would be great! I haven't watched HBO or Showtime in years because it's to expensive to add it to my Cable TV package. Now I would be able to watch the shows that I want without having to add it to my Cable TV package.
Plus I think the combination of the iTunes video store with Apple TV is better than buying your favorite TV shows on DVD because you don't have to wait for months after the season is over in order to get the shows on DVD.

dammerson

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2007
The Wire has never received the respect it deserves!

For true brilliance, a show that got better every season, I have two words: The Wire.

YES!!!!

The Wire is the best television series in US history, and that's not just my opinion. Many top television and media critics have stated this as well.

Each episode is a work of art and viewed as a whole, it plays like a novel brought to life. I have never seen such brilliant (and consistent) writing, acting and directing. This rivals or beats most cinematic works.

Brilliant.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
YES!!!!

The Wire is the best television series in US history, and that's not just my opinion. Many top television and media critics have stated this as well.

Each episode is a work of art and viewed as a whole, it plays like a novel brought to life. I have never seen such brilliant (and consistent) writing, acting and directing. This rivals or beats most cinematic works.

Brilliant.

Part of what makes The Wire so great is also what keeps it from capturing a huge audience ... you have to watch a full season to appreciate it. Each season is designed like a novel and typically the first few episodes are a little slow. But the last few episodes are like the crescendo of a fireworks exhibit.

The thing is, you don't have to go back to season one to catch up ... you could pick up any season at the start and get what you need from it.

The writers of the show like to consider it a Greek tragedy (with the powers of modern capitalism pulling the strings instead of the gods) but I also think the show owes a big debt to Tolstoy's theory of history as laid out in "War and Peace." History does not necessarily move by the whims and actions of great men, each event has a multitude of causes and effects, and often sheer dumb luck is most responsible for the way things turn out.

patioman

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2005
Edit: Ah, someone already addressed this a bit above.

Won't these be extremely expensive per episode, though, when you consider how much HBO's DVD sets cost?

The MSRP for "The Sopranos - The Complete First Four Seasons" is $399.99. With 52 episodes total, that's $7.60 PER EPISODE. The MSRP for Season 6: Part 1 is $84.95, with 12 episodes. That's $7 per as well.

These are quality shows, but HBO is insane with their pricing.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
In light of tonight's Sopranos finale, I wonder whatever became of this "interest" in supplying shows. Will it ever happen? Seems it would help HBO reach a much larger audience.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
In light of tonight's Sopranos finale, I wonder whatever became of this "interest" in supplying shows. Will it ever happen? Seems it would help HBO reach a much larger audience.

Will anyone care soon? The Sopranos ends tonight, The Wire ends this fall, Deadwood has a two-part movie left. What else is there, Entourage? HBO needs a new hit or its going to be another Showtime. It wouldn't surprise me if they go on iTunes now, gotta squeeze every penny possible off their golden age, which appears to be over.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Will anyone care soon? The Sopranos ends tonight, The Wire ends this fall, Deadwood has a two-part movie left. What else is there, Entourage? HBO needs a new hit or its going to be another Showtime. It wouldn't surprise me if they go on iTunes now, gotta squeeze every penny possible off their golden age, which appears to be over.

I'd love for HBO to start offering box sets on iTunes. I know you can get DVDs but this would save me the trouble of converting them for my iPod/iPhone/AppleTV.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC

I hear you, I plan to cancel HBO soon...but there is Big Love (awesome show), and I'm sure HBO will come up with more soon. They've been incredibly successful the last few years, they don't want that to end.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Curb Season 6 is apparently in the works... hopefully they'll be able to devote lots of time and energy into that to keep it going. I'd love to see another 4 seasons, but I'm not sure Larry's got it in him. He left Seinfeld after 6, and it was his baby.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.