Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baritone_Guy

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2021
As a comparison:
  • Discovery+ offers $2 or 40% discount
  • HBO Max offers $5 or 50% discount
  • Hulu offers $6 or 70% discount
  • Paramount+ offers $4 or 67% discount
  • Peacock offers $5 or 50% discount
AT&T's high-end broadband and wireless plans include ad-free HBO Max ($14.99). AT&T should borrow Comcast's playbook and offer ad-supported HBO Max to non-economy postpaid customers at $4.99 or ad-free at $9.99.
Your math is backwards. $15 to $10 is a 33% discount.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Or you can get high quality content from Apple TV+ for only $4.99/month. Ad free. Same price since launch. Highly recommend.

But yeah, pay for ads? I don't think so. Free with ads, maybe.

High quality content? Lol. Think I’d rather see an ad vs watch anything on atv+.

• Disagree
Reactions: Td1970 and JBGoode

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I have a dvr so I can skip ads, except on the network “on demand” programs where they disable ad skipping.

I pity all the cord cutters who are forced to watch ads.
That’s not the point. The point is that cable’s model is to have you pay and use advertising. DVR didn’t always exist ya know.

howywood

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2020
Dumb. I protest free with ads in the first place. TF if I’m gonna pay to watch ads. What is this? Hulu?

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
That’s not the point. The point is that cable’s model is to have you pay and use advertising. DVR didn’t always exist ya know.
It exists NOW. It has for close to 20 years.

I can’t stand being forced to watch the same 3 ads over and over on streams.

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I wouldn't pay for it. I currently subscribe to HBO Nordic, but to be honest the steaming quality of the picture is very poor, compared to the likes of Disney and Netflix. HBO Nordic in my experience are very arrogant. If my other half didn't enjoy some of their shows so much I would happily cancel it.

tsa1

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2008
HBO max is the only streaming service I pay for. Once HBO gets its freedom back (hopefully) it will be even better. All the other ones I mooch of friends as I do not typically watch as much. Netflix doesn’t interest me, Disney plus only around mando time. Maybe it’s brand loyalty, but I love HBO. Oh, I also share my GF’s YouTube premium and YouTube music. That would be the next one I would pay for if I was forced.

Tommyinnit

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2021
Or you can get high quality content from Apple TV+ for only $4.99/month. Ad free. Same price since launch. Highly recommend.

AppleTV + is literally the worst streaming service ever. Hardly anything on there and most of what’s there is average at best. It’s no wonder it’s free with new Apple hardware.

HBO MAX is class. The sheer library of high quality stuff is unbeatable. Costs money to license all of that content. Not even Netflix can beat it. And Same day movie releases makes it more than worth it in 2021 at least.

$11.99 p/m well spent for me. Screw the ad tier though.

Yodalogger

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2005
St. Louis MO
If someone wants to pay a little less to watch ads that's their choice. I hate ads, gladly pay more to be rid of them. This is probably just the prelude to all ads all the time everywhereWhat would be even better would be to get rid of pre-show promos for other series. Just show me John Oliver, don't care about the plug for Real Time. Besides everyone knows product placement is where the true money is

Another interesting aspect is how watching a show that originally had ads is a little jarring without the ads. For example big dramatic cliffhanger, blank screen for a second, back into a 5 second recap of the cliffhanger and on to the resolution! The pause breaks up the flow in a bad way. The first show where this was really apparent to me was '24' when I watched a season on DVD. Of course if the pause was longer I'd probably lose my mind.

Reactions: tonyr6

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
So going full circle on how cable started. Paid but with no ads to gradually be paid with a ton of ads...
I was just thinking the same thing. I especially hate the "side-by-side" ads live sports have now. Who wants to see a TV ad between pitches, tennis points, etc. It makes me nuts. It's getting to the point that I can't watch live sports anymore. DVR instead and FF through the BS ads.

Back when HBO first came on air, after a movie ended there would be nothing but background music and scenery until time for the next one to start. This could gone on for up to 15 min or so as I remember. I'll never pay for streaming with any ads. I don't even like paying for streaming and I don't. I watch Amazon Prime, Nexflix (included in my cable) and some Apple TV+ (free until July).

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
Anyone old enough to remember free tv that came over the air waves? It had ads.
Then came along cable - a premium service that had zero ads.
Then came the ads. And the prices continued to rise. As did the packaging of worthless channels.
Then came streaming. Netflix dominated. Then others noticed and began to release apps for themselves, pulling content off Netflix for themselves.
Now come the ads. Then comes the price increases for all the streaming apps.

Zero progress.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011

With a tiny fraction of content, sure. And then I would argue that Apple TV+ is no way worth $4.99 currently as it doesn't have anything, yet. You could binge everything in a weekend and wait weeks for anything worthwhile to watch.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
It exists NOW. It has for close to 20 years.

I can’t stand being forced to watch the same 3 ads over and over on streams.
Capitals don’t win wars.

It’s clear you don’t like ads, neither do I. I pay to remove ads as well, but it’s naive to think that the concept of pay and include advertising is some sort of new thing. Been around since the beginning of paid cable.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Anyone old enough to remember free tv that came over the air waves? It had ads.
Then came along cable - a premium service that had zero ads.
Then came the ads. And the prices continued to rise. As did the packaging of worthless channels.
Then came streaming. Netflix dominated. Then others noticed and began to release apps for themselves, pulling content off Netflix for themselves.
Now come the ads. Then comes the price increases for all the streaming apps.

Zero progress.
When did cable TV have zero ads? It had ads in 1975 when my family first got it and a quick google search hints that the answer might be never but it’s rather vague. Just curious since you’re now the second person claiming this but I’ve had cable practically my whole life and it’s always had commercials.

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I've reached a point in my life where I just can't stomach ads. No way I would select that.

HBO MAX is class. The sheer library of high quality stuff is unbeatable. Costs money to license all of that content. Not even Netflix can beat it. And Same day movie releases makes it more than worth it in 2021 at least.

Seriously. I'm laughing at the "just use a cheaper streaming service" comments. Some titles are exclusive to certain services. I can't wait for the next season of Warrior. I've been watching first run movies the day they've hit theaters this year on HBO. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

Reactions: Tommyinnit

Td1970

Suspended
Jan 29, 2021
No. You make a service with NO ADS for the $14.99 or $9.99 fee. That’s how they get revenue from those who prefer no ads. And then provide service WITH ADS for free. They will earn income from ad revenue from businesses who want to pay for the exposure in that demographic and some viewers do prefer ads.

But nobody likes to pay for a service these days with ads. They aren’t providing the option for viewers to choose. And that’s bad business ethics.
I guess you should go start your own streaming service. You have it all figured out. Lol

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I get HBO Max for free because I have AT&T Fiber. I'm hoping I still have access to the whole thing. This article doesn't say anything about it so I wasn't sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.