Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Having first announced HBO Max in June, WarnerMedia last night provided further details on the upcoming streaming service, which will combine HBO content with shows and films from CNN, TNT, TBS, The CW, TCM, Adult Swim, and much more.

hbo-max.jpg

AT&T has revealed that HBO Max will launch in May of 2020 with 10,000 hours of programming pre-loaded, and the service will cost $14.99 per month - the same price as HBO, but with much more content. From The Hollywood Reporter:
HBO Max will be filled with 10,000 hours of programming from across the media conglomerate's divisions including such TV hits as Friends, The Big Bang Theory and South Park; Warner Bros. films including Joker; the full HBO catalog; and originals such as the previously announced Ansel Elgort drama Tokyo Vice, a Grease spinoff and a Gossip Girl sequel.
HBO's library of content will include all the big hits like Game of Thrones and Succession, along with classics like Sex and the City and Sopranos, as well as new releases like the forthcoming Game of Thrones prequel, House of the Dragon. HBO Max will also have 1,800 film titles including all DC movies and, eventually, the full 2020 feature film slate.

AT&T will offer HBO Max for free to its existing 10 million HBO customers. WarnerMedia also revealed that it will offer the service as subscription-only in its first year, before launching an ad-supported version in 2021. There are also plans for live and interactive programming as well as special events.

The new $14.99 a month service will arrive almost two years after AT&T completed its acquisition of Time Warner, which owns HBO. It will compete with Apple TV+ and Disney+, which will cost $4.99 and $6.99 per month respectively when they launch in November.

Article Link: 'HBO Max' Streaming Service to Launch in May 2020 for $15 per month

Last edited:
Reactions: Noelmel

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
The complete HBO catalog plus lots of other content, and it’s cheaper than the current HBO/Now ($15).

Seems like a good deal, what’s the catch? Maybe it doesn’t include HBO’s non-original content (licensed) that’s on the current HBO/Now and HBO/Go channel.

Last edited:
Comment

sunapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I’m not interested in any of these streaming services, not as long as we have the VPN and torrents around

PS; Don’t hate me, just being honest.

I have a Netflix subscription which is just convenient and offers plenty to watch. For anything else, like a single show that’s not available where I live, I have other methods.

Comment

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
ATT is losing their shirt, with a amounts of debt, buying DirectTV and TimeWarner. DTV, is losing millions of subscribers per month, and they can't seem to get out of their way. I can't see this service being anything that will tempt many folks

What's laughable is that ATT expects this to scale up to 80 million subscribers - even when its current HBO streaming service (priced the same) has only reached a tenth of that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

cardfan

macrumors 68030
Mar 23, 2012
I don’t think atv is competition here. Apple would love to sell subs of hbo in its app. Which is why these articles are silly. 30% sounds good.

Comment

cardfan

macrumors 68030
Mar 23, 2012
ATT is losing their shirt, with a amounts of debt, buying DirectTV and TimeWarner. DTV, is losing millions of subscribers per month, and they can't seem to get out of their way. I can't see this service being anything that will tempt many folks

What's laughable is that ATT expects this to scale up to 80 million subscribers - even when its current HBO streaming service (priced the same) has only reached a tenth of that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Which is why it’s laughable that anyone thinks Apple can get over 100 million paid users. Yet some of these analysts are that gullible.

Reactions: DEXTERITY
Comment

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
I have a Netflix subscription which is just convenient and offers plenty to watch. For anything else, like a single show that’s not available where I live, I have other methods.

Yep. I’m from the UK and here we have to pay £15 per month for TV License. What is it you may ask? Is it a government tax? Nope it goes to the BBC(British broadcasting corporation). It’s pretty much the main TV channel here in the UK. Do I watch it? Hardly. So why should I pay the fee? Well, If you don’t you could be fined for thousands of pounds, weather you watch the BBC channel or not.

Rubbish!

Comment

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Which is why it’s laughable that anyone thinks Apple can get over 100 million paid users. Yet some of these analysts are that gullible.
Even Netflix with 91 Million subscribers, has a negative cash flow and that isn't a new thing for them it seems.

Netflix reported net cash flow for the quarter of negative $380 million compared to negative $287 million during the same period last year. The company said it now expects its 2019 free cash flow deficit to be greater than the negative $3 billion previously expected, coming in at negative $3.5 billion. Netflix said the larger deficit was due to a change in corporate structure and investments in real estate and infrastructure.

I'm not sure how this will be the holy grail for ATT, I don't get why a telecom company is trying to get into the content and streaming business, much like how a content/broadcast company (Dish Network) is trying to be a telecom company ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: augustrushrox
Comment

kumar muthaiah

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
The problem TV Streaming services having is they are not showing the same content all over the world. I don't agree on the licensing thing. Not respecting customers as humans. Apple TV + goes streaming all countries same time the Movies and TV serials. HBO Max is not going to be available in India for example, as if we peoples in India are not humans. Apple is the right company to do this. Later these guys will do same as Apple TV + trying to compete. Finally the company who really understands human wins at end! Those who runs for profit alone will be only supported by rich! See even though Apple try to sell other studio companies movies, they cannot if you see india iTunes catalog it is worst again not respecting india peoples as humans. If the studio companies put rules to air the movies all over the world same time after theatre release, then it will be good and the owners here in India cannot protest. TV serials as to be released at same time. Root cause of all these problems is movie companies. I can say once movie is old it as to be sold at very lowest rate / free. But movie companies sell it for life to earn money. That's not fair. I know many will not accept my argument, if you don't want to go against status quo. Most movies promote violence, hatred, revenge, war, killing, raping, fear, etc.,. These movies spoil people lives. Rare to see movies that shows kindness, compassion, sex, spiritual, etc., to improve humanity. In end one can say real movie is our life that is more better than watching this illusions of movies and tv-serials. Your life / friend's / neighbours / relationship life is a tv-serial / movie, what's happens next is suspense if they tell their stories. People try to invent things so that our real life becomes an entertainment and not these illusions like Netflix, HBO, Hulu, etc., unless they respect humans. Netflix, HotStar, Prime Video are putting bits and pieces to we beggars in India. We don't feel the luxury of US and other developed countries ! That is the reality. It's up to you all! As far as I'm not going to subscribe any of these that don't respect humans. We have to be happy to achieve our dreams. If we subscribe we will loose happiness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

TonyC28

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Consumers: Dang my cable plan is like $125 and I don’t even watch most of these channels. I wish I could just cut the cord and pick and choose what I subscribe to.

Consumers five years later: Oh sweet HBO Max is out and that brings my streaming package cost to $150. Yay cord cutting!

Comment

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I think the catch will be price hikes pretty quickly on Max. AT&T can’t help itself with the debt load it’s carrying.
If they do I think they’ll end up shooting themselves in the foot; it’s not like they’re tearing up the landscape with their $15 Go/Now product.

At $14.99 for Max, I think there’s very little headroom for increases, especially if it doesn’t include all the licensed third-party content the cable channel (and Go and Now) has that rotates through every month. HBO’s own catalog is impressive, but that licensed content is part of the appeal, and value proposition, of the current product.

Of course, Max brings its own content to the table, as mentioned in the article. A lot. Including Friends, Big Bang, South Park, and some new original content. Warners has a ton of content.

Last edited:
Reactions: Noelmel
Comment

kumar muthaiah

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
6 months later... $30. 6 months after that... $45.
Telling alone no use brother. We have to take action all over the world to stop these companies from earning money. We must respect only those companies that respect humans. Don't worry about high price if they respect human rights, since without money nothing runs and high cost is required to get quality thing. We all have to help each other and achieve it.
[automerge]1572438534[/automerge]
6 months later... $30. 6 months after that... $45.
If you have a happy product then you'r life will be happy if you choose happy, else you need to spend lot of time blaming, hating, these companies and spoiling your time and dreams

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.