HBO now not coming to Australia!?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by macbroadcast, Mar 13, 2015.

1. macbroadcast, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015

macbroadcast macrumors member

The new release for HBONOW in April was a huge surprise for Apple TV. I just don't get why its not available for other countries such as Australia? Will it be any time this year?

(Sorry if this is wrong section for this type of discussion)

2. MacMcNugget macrumors newbie

It's not coming to Australia, because HBO already sold most of the Australian broadcast rights for it's own shows to Foxtel.

Same reason that Netflix shows like House of Cards or Orange Is The New Black won't actually be available on Netflix Australia when it launches here in a couple of weeks.

You'll need to subscribe to another service in order to trick HBO into thinking you're actually located in the USA - I use Unblock Us, and it seems to make everything work fairly seamlessly.

3. macbroadcast thread starter macrumors member

Well that makes sense.

So If I purchase an Apple TV and change my DNS settings, will I be able to change my location to USA?

4. RossMak macrumors 6502

RossMak

You will get access to the app if you do that, my guess would be though that you will need a US address to register with HBO now. I am UK based so won't get access to it either.

I am hoping that we get SkyGo on it at some point this year!