HBO NOW on Apple TV with VPN

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jezoc, Apr 8, 2015.

1. jezoc macrumors newbie

got HBO NOW to work with a VPN on my iPhone and iPad, but i'm having a bit of trouble getting it to work with my apple tv. basically, i'm not sure how to apply the VPN to the device. if anyone could help me out with this i'd very much appreciate it. thanks!

2. Primalsage macrumors member

You can't. You need a DNS service like unblock-us.com for a device without VPN capability.

Either that or setup VPN in your router if it supports it. That would mean all your internet traffic is running through the VPN though so not recommended.

3. jezoc thread starter macrumors newbie

ah, okay. well, does anyone know if the airplay quality from my iPad would be the same as the streaming quality from the HBO NOW app?

4. Primalsage macrumors member

It should be but I'm not entirely sure it will work with VPN. If it does proper Airplay/Handoff the Airplay will simply tell the Apple TV to go to address x and stream. That is, nothing is streamed from the iPad to the Apple TV apart from the info about where to stream from. That's how Airplay from the iPad/iPhone HBO Nordic app works. Effectively it's like using the iPhone as a remote.

Airplay with mirroring should work though but that definetely won't run as stably.

Try out Unblock for a week. Free without any binding.

5. jezoc thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks so much for your input. i'll go try unblock. seems pretty easy to do without having to download anything.