Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular premium cable channel HBO has announced plans to introduce a web-only subscription service designed for cable cutters in the coming months. According to HBO CEO Richard Plepler, who spoke at an investor presentation (via Re/code), the company will begin offering standalone HBO service that does not require a cable subscription in 2015.
"That is a large and growing opportunity that should no longer be left untapped. It is time to remove all barriers to those who want HBO.

"So, in 2015, we will launch a stand-alone, over-the-top, HBO service in the United States. We will work with our current partners. And, we will explore models with new partners. All in, there are 80 million homes that do not have HBO and we will use all means at our disposal to go after them."
HBO's decision to offer a standalone subscription is a major victory for cord cutters and the first major shift away from cable-only access to premium content. Cable companies like Time Warner and Comcast have been highly resistant to piecemeal pricing and companies like HBO have been reluctant to shift away from traditional cable delivery models in order to avoid upsetting existing revenue streams.

apple_tv_splash_2014-800x494.jpg
The television industry's reluctance to shift to a new content delivery model that strays away from cable has long been rumored to be the major reason why Apple has been unable to deliver the revolutionary television experience that it originally envisioned.

Early rumors suggested Apple was aiming for an a la carte subscription television service that would replace existing cable packages, but the company eventually scaled back on its TV ambitions and is now said to be working with cable companies on a deal that would see it providing cable content overlaid with an Apple TV-style interface.

According to Plepler, HBO will work with "current partners" on its upcoming standalone service, which possibly suggests that the web-only version may allow Apple TV users to access HBO content on their set-top boxes without a cable subscription, but details on the product are scarce at this time.

It is not clear if the standalone service will be the same as the service provided to cable subscribers who opt for HBO, but presumably, the deal will give those who purchase the web-only subscription access to the company's most popular shows like "Game of Thrones" and "True Detective."

Article Link: HBO to Introduce Standalone Web-Only Subscriptions in 2015

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
in about 5 years:

"Man, I have to subscribe to HBO, Showtime, FX, AMC, Netflix, Comedy Central, etc...I wish I can just subscribe to all content at one low, discounted monthly rate."

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
This should have happened a long time ago... but nice to see it happen regardless

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
in about 5 years:

"Man, I have to subscribe to HBO, Showtime, FX, AMC, Netflix, Comedy Central, etc...I wish I can just subscribe to all content at one low, discounted monthly rate."

Too true.

We don't want to buy music a la carte. We want a monthly subscription to get all content at one price.
Then the opposite.. We don't want to subscribe to cable. We want to buy our channels a la carte.

This is almost as confusing to me as the consumer obsession of wanting phones to be bigger and tablets smaller.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Beware. Sky in the UK have done this (somewhat) and at least for the sports pass it's far more expensive, £10 a day.

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
in about 5 years:

I don't know if this is correct. HBO is already an add-on subscription service, however if you wanted it, you MUST have at least basic cable. Which is kind of backwards. All this does, is not require that you have basic cable.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
If only ESPN would do this. Wait, didn't NFL Network announce something like this. [runs away to go check]

----------

in about 5 years:

Lol. I'm good if I have sports channels, Netflix and Amazon Prime. I just pretend other TV shows don't exist. Time wasters mostly anyway.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
People in the US: "ohhhh, nice"

Rest of the world: "snooze..."

Guess there had to be some benefits to being American... ;)

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Too true.

We don't want to buy music a la carte. We want a monthly subscription to get all content at one price.
Then the opposite.. We don't want to subscribe to cable. We want to buy our channels a la carte.

This is almost as confusing to me as the consumer obsession of wanting phones to be bigger and tablets smaller.

I don't think the issue is A La Carte vs. Subscription. Most people would be content with cable subscriptions if they offered more realistic tiers or options where the consumer could get the channels they want without paying for extraneous channels. Currently, everyone ends up paying into a big bucket for content that they may not care about or watch.

Imagine a service where you pay $10/month for connection and local channels. $20/month gets you any 15 channels of your choosing. HBO is then a la carte for $5.

$35 per month for just the content I want to watch without being forced into paying $15/month to get one channel that is included in a "pack" with 50 others that I don't want. Done deal.

Of course, you could have more tiers of 30, 50, 75, 100 channels to sell at various price points. The ability to choose what channels/shows/content you actually want is the key.

Renzatic

Suspended
in about 5 years:

This is pretty much true. And you know what the best solution is?

...offer both. That way, people who want a'la carte get a'la carte, and people who want stick with the more traditional lump TV package can still get it.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Too true.

Obviously, the price of cable is too high.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
And we all realize the ISPs are just going to respond with more expensive bandwidth, right? They're gonna make you pay one way or another...

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
Beginning of the end for Comcast.

Or they just raise rates "again"

Hey someone has to pay for the new skyscraper they are building.:D

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Bold move by HBO; someone had to be first. I suspected it would only be a matter of time before some content creator or provider would make that first leap of faith. If anyone could afford to irritate, and thoroughly annoy the cable/sat giants, it would be HBO.

If this works out for them (and they will be watched closely to be sure), in time more content providers are sure to follow.

In the end, are we going to pay less? Probably not. But we will have more options to customize what we want to watch, and where.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Yeah, this sound interesting but again I watch something like 6 to 8 channels and some live sports. I am sure if I buy all "a la carte", it will end up costing the same of my DirecTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.