Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

hauntvictim

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
So I never understand Apple TV channels, was that supposed to by like an app store within Apple TV itself? Because I had previously attempted to sign up for example Paramount+. But it was more expensive that way, then I signed up for it on their website. But i have no way to link my account in that Apple TV channel. Just confused.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2018
Around
We did a month or two of HBO Max to watch GoT front to back. There is a ton of content on HBO, we have been subscribed for a few months now going through some shows during the off season for our usual shows.

Not bad. I like getting with my Apple account balance since that money was purchased at a 10-20% discount during sales on gift cards.
Expect they don’t have iTunes gift cards anymore. They have Apple gift cards that can be used for everything (iTunes, Apple store), but I have yet to see a sale on them. I do get 5% when I get them at Target at least using my Target card.

• Disagree
Reactions: NetMage

gaximus

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Only if you subscribe to all those services simultaneously instead of 1 or 2 at a time, watching what you want for a month or two, then pause/cancel, and subscribe to 1 or 2 new services the following month, then repeat this process every month or two.

Plus, some people get some services for free/included with their wireless service (Netflix with T-Mobile, HBO Max with AT&T, Disney+ with Verizon), or discounted ($1.99/mo for Hulu basic).

Supplement those services with a digital antenna and/or other free streaming services/apps (Roku channel, Tubi, Pluto tv, YouTube, etc) and you should have more than enough content to watch.

Or better yet, go outside.
Agreed, the biggest difference between cable and streaming services, is that I don't have to sign a contract. I can cancel when ever, and if the service is doing well and providing lots of good content I don't cancel, HBO is doing this for me for now, but Disney+ wasn't so it got canceled(Once the Loki show wraps up I'll get it again to catch up).

jgreg728

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2016
Really REALLY pissed this is happening. I loved using the channel for its live feed, not to mention Picture in Picture mode, being able to see show/movie info while you were watching, and just enjoying that full integration of the TV App. I don't enjoy using HBO Max much at all, and I do hope next year or somewhere down the line they reconsider putting the service back as a channel, even if its just HBO again.

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
So much for all the hoopla. att.com is down all across the web servers

as of 10:25 a.m. Mountain Daylight Time, every single pointer to att.com is down, down, down.

With multiple, various, contradicting excuses on every single page that failed to load.

Whoopee! Life with AT&T in the 21st century has changed at all since Life with At&T since the lat century. Only it costs more, and you get less and less and less and less.....

You'd think humptyDumpty was running the company out of his disco-pad at Margo-a-go-go....

mazz0

macrumors 68030
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
:( Channels was a great idea, but it‘s too hidden away. I’d love to use one interface for everything, but as usual with Apple TV they’ve squandered the opportunity.

• Disagree

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I get HBO Max included/free with my AT&T wireless account...
Don't use it very much as their catalog is a bit dated.
With all my streaming subscriptions combined (Amazon Prime, Disney+, HBO Max, Netflix, and Discovery+), I'm still paying way less than I did when I had DirecTV.
Their equipment fees alone cost more than the service.

JDuggan

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2014
I have no idea what Apple TV channels are.

Apparently they're not apps.

I need a glossary.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
There are probably shows or specials or movies I’ve missed but I haven’t subscribed to HBO for a very long time.

You don’t miss what you don’t know about.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
I have no idea what Apple TV channels are.

Apparently they're not apps.

I need a glossary.

I do have Apple TV. It’s similar to a Roku device, not really channels but a way to get streaming apps on your TV. Many newer TV’s come with ATV or Some other App service built in now. But I THINK-I don’t know for certain- if you use a purchased Apple TV then the TV manufacturer can’t data collect what you watch and sell that information to whoever.

Don’t take that as a verified fact. I do know that Samsung and LG TV’s with built in subscription software to allow streaming apps do monitor and sell that information.

• Angry

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2019
I use a FireStick 4k on all three of the shared TVs in the house to access HBO Max, Disney+, Hulu, Prime, and Netflix.

No one in my family is ever wanting for something to watch. Each service has its "indispensable" gems.

Reactions: rjohnstone

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
So much for all the hoopla. att.com is down all across the web servers

as of 10:25 a.m. Mountain Daylight Time, every single pointer to att.com is down, down, down.

With multiple, various, contradicting excuses on every single page that failed to load.

Whoopee! Life with AT&T in the 21st century has changed at all since Life with At&T since the lat century. Only it costs more, and you get less and less and less and less.....

You'd think humptyDumpty was running the company out of his disco-pad at Margo-a-go-go....
Not really AT&T’s fault on that, though.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2009
hate this is happening. streaming is now cable, and its been like that now. everyone has its own streaming services, charging $15 per stream almost. it adds up quickly. I looked at my streaming bill a few months ago, and it was approaching cable costs.. and I was paying for internet too.

its time to return to torrents and grey market. hello emby and plex.
HBO has been $15 a month since dinosaurs walked the earth. Take it somewhere else.

kjvmartin

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2016
Detroit
Expect they don’t have iTunes gift cards anymore. They have Apple gift cards that can be used for everything (iTunes, Apple store), but I have yet to see a sale on them. I do get 5% when I get them at Target at least using my Target card.
I’ve found lots of sales. target has had $10 gift cards available with $100 purchase, for example. Keep an eye on slick deals.

Localcelebrity

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2004
Chicago, IL
This has been on their roadmap for a long time. HBO's public transition from multiple apps/services to one has been really hard. The Apple TV Channels thing was very clearly one of the last initiatives done by the old team and I imagine the newer regime has been itching to kill it.

They seem on course to have a clear, clean, cohesive strategy right in time for the Discovery merger to take place and screw it all up again. hahaha.

Side note: Apple TV Channels seem like a confusing mess of a rollout that never really took off. I'll be surprised if Apple doesn't eventually rework it, fold it into something else, or kill it off entirely.

randfee2

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Germany
They can go cry in the backyard if you ask me.

I started with Spotify for music, and it was enough.
I started wir Netflix for shows and it was enough. (Got amazon prime when it came out and kee paying for it because of free shipping).

Everybody that came in second, third or fourth…. Sorry guys. The greedy but backwards oriented losers then started and try to force us users to also get a subscription for their inferior subset of content by removing their offerings from the initial providers 🙄 … so you pay more for a subset, aka for less

I’d happily pay for one social/media subscription, no more.

So: Scre* you HBO, Disney and also Apple. I will not let myself get fragmented and pay for N substitution services EVER!!
Back to pirating. I’m still paying for my subscriptions, but now that they screwed me over, I’ll spend 1-2 mins finding it elsewhere again. Those bosses are really smart, now they get no money from me (and many others). Their loss

• Angry
Reactions: NetMage and Stewie

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
What is the point of purchasing subscriptions via Apple TV channels? What’s the benefit?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.