HBO's Rome series on DVD

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I'm a Lost junkie (I got into Battlestar Galactica too), but don't get HBO, and so never had the opportunity to watch the Rome series. Is anyone here who is a fan? What would you compare it too? Is it worth buying the season? Thanks in advance for your input.

bobscliff

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
Princeton, NJ
I'm a HUGE fan and i must say it's definitely worth buying on dvd, but not for the $100 msrp. you can get it for less on amazon tho. you could also get it on netflix i suppose. it's kind of a high-quality historical soap opera, but with good acting and plotting.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
bobscliff said:
good acting and plotting.
Thats how i feel aswell, there is not much action but the storey is very nice amd its worth a watch. I would probebly buy it but $100 is a lot might i say.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Actually Rome was made by HBO, BBC & RAI not just HBO :rolleyes: it was ok, it wasn't as good as people rave on about.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Caezar said:
Is this series complete already? Or will there be another season?

Caezar
There will be another season. In fact it is probably filming right now as HBO has said it will begin airing in January '07.

OP: You would be much better off viewing the first episode through Netflix/downloading before buying. I loved it but some of my other friends, who swear by anything HBO produces, hated it.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
I haven't seen it, but that is based on the recommendation of Lori (see post below), who saw a few episodes while she was on her last business trip. We're both fans of generally the same TV shows (like Lost and BSG), so I took her on her criticism at face value. But, this may be an exception...

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
I thought the acting left something to be desired. The show actually put me to sleep when I watched it on my trip.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Thanks for the advice guys. I had no idea it was that expensive for the season (I bought the first season of Lost for like $40 last year so I had that kind of price in mind when I posted about Rome). Looks like I may be renting this, at least to start out with (I'd REALLY have to like it to want to drop $60-100 on a tv show). I am excited to get into this now!