HD 3870 in MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ggg05a, Feb 6, 2009.

1. ggg05a macrumors regular

ggg05a

SO. . . .

I think I found the deal of a lifetime on a MacPro. My question is could I buy any HD 3870 to pop in there, or must it be a Mac specific one?

Thanks!

--Garrett

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

3. ggg05a thread starter macrumors regular

ggg05a

What makes it Mac specific?

Would this be something I could remedy by flashing it? I have no problem paying the 'MacTax' on actual Apple product, but on ATI cards?

--Garrett

4. nicfargo macrumors member

There are firmware flashes to turn certain ati cards into their mac counterpart. Not sure if the 3870 has one floating around or not. For the ones that do have it, it seems like an easy enough of a process...but I think you need a PC to get it all started.

5. TimmyDee macrumors member

There are flashes. There's a guy on eBay who will sell you a preflashed Radeon or GeForce. Poke around for seller "bruinmacs".

6. ggg05a thread starter macrumors regular

ggg05a

Yeah the process seems easy enough. I remember back in the day (2003?) I flashed a Radeon 9500 Pro into a 9700 Pro. Seems like the process hasn't changed at all. I just have get myself a ROM that will work.

Seems like all we need is someone with a Mac HD3780 to put it in their PC and dump the BIOS using GPU-z.

Anyone!?

7. CheesusRise macrumors newbie

8. ggg05a thread starter macrumors regular

ggg05a

Ahh . . . I understand.

Looks like I'll just go with a 8800GT, they seem much easier to flash. I was already able to gram a ROM online for it.

--Garrett