HD, 3D? how about 8K Ultra High Def.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacNut, Aug 27, 2012.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/24/3264652/8k-ultra-high-definition-tv-specification-approved

2. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Fast forward to 4 minutes in... interesting stuff.

The higher the quality display - the longer you watch it for. Very high quality displays may cause you to watch TV for up to double the duration.

So there you go... sit still and keep watching the idiot box while we get to sell double the amount of advertising!

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Granted this is 10-15 years out but imagine the pain in the ass the conversion will be, everyone is now just adopting HD. This would just about kill the 3D craze. With 8 times the resolution there won't be a need for 3D.

4. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Especially because you can have a 80+" TV, sit 6 feet in front of it and still not see the pixels, yet have your field of view completely filled.

5. ace198 macrumors regular

I don't think I'd want to watch 3D on my own TV set. Even if you could without the glasses. I say no to headaches and the such. The other things are that there isn't much 3D content out there, the sets are expensive(when you include how many glasses you need) and the viewing angles are pretty bad.

6. espiritujo macrumors member

espiritujo

I can't understand the 3D gimmick to save my life. I've tried countless TV's in the store with the glasses, and I don't see what's so special about it. I'm perfectly fine with watching something in 1080p without the whole 3D special features and in your face effects. I really hope that technology doesn't end up using 3D and sticks to HD for a long long time.