HD 4870 in Mac pro 1.1 issues

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 77seriesiii, Oct 22, 2009.

1. 77seriesiii macrumors newbie

Mac Pro - HD 4870 in Mac Pro 1.1 issues
    A question for some of the smart folks.

Based on some research and this forum I purchased a HD 4870 for my 2x2.66 Mac pro 1.1 w/ 21gb of memory and installed it last night. As soon as I booted up I noticed that the mouse (Kensington Expert Track ball) acts very jerky, Works smoothly then stops and then starts moving again freely. I have two monitors installed, Sony 19" and 10.5.8 installed. I wents so far as to re-install OS X just to see if anything already installed caused the problem, still same smooth > jerky > smooth routine. I removed the monitor connected to the MINI port, still same problem.

My internal memory config as a few 512KB chips and will remove those just to see what happens.

Internal HD, 2x1TB and 2x750gb.

Ok, this is what I have done so far:

I removed memory slowly down to 8gb and same issues, multiple reboots.

I have NOT moved the video card to a new slot.

I have NOT changed mouse

When I was overclocking...time ago and I took it too far, that is what the mouse seems to be acting like...hurky jerky then smooth. I know I know very technical

If I missed anything, let me know. If there is more information needed let me know? Did I get a bum card, my system ganked or...?

Any help/suggestions would be great

Thanks

Erick

2. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

I know that this is straigh up from my arse,but I will still try it...heh..

I remember reading that with third party monitors (non apple),there were some issues when the displays were set up with the 60hrz.And,rumouredly,they were remedied when set up to 59hrz...
    No idea,if this is pure BS,but I think the peeps will chime in soon and give the correct answers...

I personally have a 1.1+ACD and the apples 4870 and have used it with a BT mouse (with a dongle) and wacom,without any issues.

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

4. 77seriesiii thread starter macrumors newbie

cindori,

Thanks for the link, I wasnt sure but really suspected an ATI driver issue, just didnt know how to approach it.

./e

5. 77seriesiii thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I downloaded the switchresx tool and changed the Hz to 59 and it gets slightly better but no luck. I did notice when I rebuilt the 10.5 OS that at 5.6 everything worked well, no second monitor but no mouse issues. No drivers for the ATI crd in that OS based on the lack of support for Quartz, as soon as .7 is installed problems, so definitely driver issues.

I am still looking for a solution/idea so any pointers is greatly appreciated.

./e

6. 77seriesiii thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, I'm an idiot...:rolleyes: i was looking for jerky mouse...not thinking straight. Cindori, Thanks for the direction, time for some reading.

./e

7. aliot macrumors member

I'm not sure is this a peoblem "Mac pro 1.1 w/ 21gb of memory".
    You got the mouse problem since you have 4870 or at the very first?
    I think the manual says that mac pro 1.1 support up to 16GB ram.
    may be you can try a 16GB or less setup.

8. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

The reason the manual said it was because it was the largest memory modules available at that time.

And, of course, he got the thousands of people @ apple boards to back up that it really is an ATI driver issue.

9. 77seriesiii thread starter macrumors newbie

With Cindori on this. Was not an issue until the new card was dropped in. Old card was dying/checking out so went an easy route and purchased the apple card. After reading everything here, should have gotten a cheaper PC version or better card and just flashed it. Didnt really think to look prior to purchase. Next time.

./e

10. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

By the way,have you tested other mouses? Cordless or corded?
    I have a aeon old logitech with bt dongle and it is smooth as a butter.
    Might be worth testing you mates mouses so you investment doesnt go down the *******.

11. 77seriesiii thread starter macrumors newbie

havent tried a diff mouse, got plenty of those. BTW, I've dropped down down to 16gb just for giggles, no changes.

So am looking to try shifting to a VGA cord...That is freakin killin' me. I work in the IT industry and NO where in my house is a GD VGA cord. I thought I had one but it was RS232 console cable and it took me an hour just to find DVI/VGA. Its crazy that I have to go this route and I remember throwing out all kinds of VGA cables, ugh.

To avoid using DVI/VGA conversion I would need a set of monitors that work w/ this card? I am in the process of downloading Apple dev packages just to see if there is anything in the quartzgl aspect or something else.

./e

12. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

I'd send the card back, buy a PC one and flash.

You save 100$
    Your problems disappear
    You get better performance (if you buy 1gig)

13. 77seriesiii thread starter macrumors newbie

looking that I may just do that.

Is the sapphire 4890 1gb card still the way to go?

I and my wife shoot film photography and the negatives are scanned in, each image is anywhere from 150 to 500mb in size a huge video card that is a workhorse is a win win. You are dead on with the $, over $100 cheaper.

in 10.6 dual monitors still work?

Thx for the return idea

./e

14. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

if you buy 4890, you get dual dvi, only in SL.
    2nd DVI is only single link.

most powerful gpu for MP 1.1 / 2.2 to this date, and probably for months to come.