HD 5000 MBA vs HD 4000 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Jayeegii, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Jayeegii macrumors newbie

i`m gonna buy either macbook pro 13" with retina or macbook air 13" upgraded to i7 with 8gb of ram. I`m a student so i`ll take them sometimes to school and also i play games sometimes such as Dota2, LoL, WoW etc... so which one would be better ? cuz it seems that MBA has HD 5000 which they say it is better than HD 4000 in games and other stuff ? please help me to decide

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wait till after next Tuesday. The mbp line is 3 days off an update!

3. Jayeegii thread starter macrumors newbie

?

sorry what does that mean ? mbp ? i`m not familiar with those thanks

4. Alekto macrumors regular

Umm....

5. d1sahib macrumors newbie

MacBookPro

:)

6. d1sahib macrumors newbie

To the OP, the MBA (MacBook Air) is better than the previous model, but I wouldn't expect it to do a great job with graphics-intensive games. This discussion should help:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9280218736

You should wait until tuesday, as suggested earlier, and then make up your mind.

7. dizmonk macrumors regular

So i bought the 13"MBA and a 13" retina rMMP to compare side by side (both 8gb 256GB). The operational speed for them appears to be comparable. Obviously one of the key differences is battery life and the screen.

When watching a movie on Itunes on both the Retina mBP seems TOO dark. Brightness is exactly the same on both machines. Has anyone else experienced this???

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

That's because a retina screen requires more light this is because the panel is more dense.

9. MikePembo951 macrumors member

I use a lot of openGL graphics in my projects and the MacBook Air handles them surprising well!

It's not an intensive gaming notebook, but it can play CoD 4 at native res, medium/high graphics at 60fps.

10. Jayeegii thread starter macrumors newbie

haha thanks

haha thanks i was so stupid not noticing that

11. cirus macrumors 6502a

They should be similar. ULV chips generally run at reduced clocks vs the 35/45 watt standard voltage chips. HD 4000 ULV was a good bit slower than HD 4000 SV (generally clocks were around 1150-1250 on the SV part depending on the chip and 900-1000 on the ULV part). Moving to HD 4400/5000 should almost close than gap but I would not be surprised if HD 4000 was faster than ULV HD 5000, especially in CPU heavy games where the CPU eats up more tdp budget resulting in less power and lower clocks for the igp.

12. dizmonk macrumors regular

But I find movies and tv shows on Itunes are too dark to see. Is this a common complaint?

13. Chicane-UK macrumors 6502

Agreed on waiting! MacBook Pro is supposed to be refreshed in the next few days :)

14. Jayeegii thread starter macrumors newbie

wow

wow that`s nice ty

15. Saltymac macrumors member

Use as a student would seem to be well served with a Mac Book AIR - retina screen uses a lot of battery and for what purpose ?

16. mattferg macrumors 6502

If it's a choice between the 2012 rMBP and 2013 Air for gaming - go for the Air. The HD 5000 destroys the HD 4000, and the better CPU in the rMBP isn't the bottleneck, the GPU is, so the Air will outperform it. Plus, the SSD is faster.

Oh, and since you can't run games at Retina anyways, the 'native' resolution of the Air is higher.

17. Jayeegii thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

I watch movies and sometimes play and usually I do other stuff for school

----------

How about heating ? Air seemed to be heating a lot, thanks for the reply. So i think i should definitely wait for tuesday to check out the new MBP

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well even if the rMBP gets update, it won't run games as well due to higher resolution display, but I can see Apple using the more powerful graphics chip on the rMBP compared to the MBA.

19. Enrico Pallazzo macrumors newbie

No, not really. The Retina display is far more accurate and which is usually ideal. The reason for what you're seeing is that a) Airs have cheaper display panels and b) video is encoded to a TV standard that is different to computer display standards.

If you're curious, you could google '16-235 color space' (which is the TV standard) and see what makes it different to '0-255 color space' (which is the computer standard).

20. Hanniberry macrumors newbie

The Retina models have crushed blacks. Calibration helps a lot, but blacks and greys aren't it's strong points.