HD 6 Gb/s on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by patricksan, Sep 20, 2010.

1. patricksan macrumors member

Dear All,

I inserted 4 HD 1.0 TB Western Digital Caviar Black on my mac pro and format them as RAID0.

It is everything working, but the details from these hard disks are:
    - 64 MB Cache
    - 6 Gb/s interface speed.

I didn't use the JUMP to set the max speed to 3 Gb/s as required by the Mac Pro 2008 Controller.

Could this action harm my mac pro? Or decrease the lifetime from the hard disk.

I noticed that the fun are working harder then before.

Thank you

2. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Don't know what you mean by JUMP, but there are no mechanical drives that can effectively reach 3Gbs speeds, let alone 6Gbs speeds.

The controller on newer Caviar Black models is SATA3 compatible, but the drive itself isn't any faster.

I wouldn't worry about any limits.

About the heat: having 4 drives in RAID0 means that as soon as you use the drives, they're all working. It's all or nothing with a RAID0, so it's normal that you get more heat, and thus more fan activity.

Loa

3. patricksan thread starter macrumors member

Sorry. I mean jumper settings.

Ok.

Thanks

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

You don't have to use the jumpers so long as the drive works properly. They're there in case the controller has problems with the disk (force it to downgrade to 3.0Gb/s).

As per the fans running more, the disks may be running on the warm side (can't remember the thermal data available in real world testing results).

5. patricksan thread starter macrumors member

Do you know how OSX show this information? Is it clear?
    I didn't receive any warning or error, so I suspected that controller is working ok.

Thanks everybody for the helper.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

OS X won't give any kind of warning indicator such as an information screen,...

Your indicator is instability (i.e. system is flakey at best = works and stops = inconsistent performance, to possibly not being able to boot the OS if that's on the disk in question).