HD A/V Receiver Advice

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by c.greene914, Jul 22, 2007.

1. c.greene914 macrumors regular

c.greene914

I am currently trying to research HD Receivers to replace my Yamaha HTR-5860 with something more current.

I really like the Pioneer vsx-84tsxi, but I would like to find a site that has up to date reviews besides cnet.

Most of the sites the Google brings up, don't have reviews much later than midsummer of last year. Can someone suggest an A/V forum, or website that has advice and reviews of current models?

Thanks.

2. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

audioreview.com

I own the vsx-84txsi and it is excellent even driving 4 ohm speakers however hold off if you want one it has a couple of problems with hdmi switching and pioneer is about to announce a new model pretty soon to replace it

3. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Try avsforums.com

Look for the new Onkyo line. The TX-SR875 and TX-SR905 have the Reon HQV processors in them to do upscaling to 1080P. They support the latest audio for Blu Ray and HD-DVD as well as HDMI 1.3

A little more expensive than the Pioneer Elite line, but they have some really great features. Something to follow.

The Denon line is also very solid.

4. c.greene914 thread starter macrumors regular

c.greene914

Thanks guys. I was also reading about the Onkyo TX-SR875 and it seems like a good unit.

I love the Denon products, but it seems like the features for the price are a little lacking. I'm sure it's made with 'better quality components' or some other aspect that makes it more expensive, but my main priorities are HDMI upconvert, multi-zone, input/output hookups, and picture/sound quality.

poopyhead: Do you have any idea of a timeframe when that new Pioneer model might be released?

5. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

within a month or two
    if you check the pioneer page and the elite receivers they have already started to release the new 90 series. a 94txsi should be released soon.

6. banjomamo macrumors regular

This may be out of your price range but if you are serious into home theater try looking into the Anthem Statement D2 or AVM50 (http://www.anthemav.com). Its a separate pre/pro so you'd need additional amps to power your speakers but its got spectacular neutral sound, lots of features AND the Gennum video scaler which is the best scaler I have seen under $10k.

7. docpsycho macrumors member

Well, um... any thing will be better

HTR series..... can you get anymore ghetto.....:p

The HTR's is the mass market value series..... anything will be an improvement. Unless you get another mass market value line. :eek:

Simple test to see if it has any real Ballz, is how heavy is that thing; light is bad heavier is good. (power transformer test, amperage is good).

Don't forget video up conversion capabilities also. (I am anti HDMI due to the copyright thing; murdering the concept of the VCR's intent)

My current A/V unit is a Denon AVR-3803

PS. READ ABOUT THX info before getting a unit with the logo.... so many misinformed folks out there