HD and Disc Probs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by frango9000, Oct 30, 2009.

1. frango9000 macrumors newbie

Hello first of all I have , like many, been a pc guy all my life, the only macs i have used are in macstores, i just got from a friend a White Macbook dunno what generation nor proc it has, it had the Seagate 120gb HD damaged so i just changed it for a used but working Western Digital 120gb one (it had vista installed and i was surprised it even started). All i have is the Macbook and the charger, I have no Install disk, nothing. I live in venezuela and i went to a mac retail store and they are charging me almost what it costs a new macbook to install the OS and they wont give me or sell me a install disk. What can i do?

FYI, i have no other mac available. I tried downloading a snowleopard disc but it dosnt boot.

thanks in advance

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What about eBay? Or the Online Apple Store?

You need some kind of installation DVD like Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) or Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6), which should be available at your Apple/Mac store for a normal price and not overpriced. 10.6 costs around 29USD, and is working for all Intel machines. There is also a Mac Box set, containing iWork, iLife and 10.6 for around 159USD.
    Do you have any other retailers is Venezuela (and near you) that have Apple gear and might have Snow Leopard or Leopard to offer.

3. frango9000 thread starter macrumors newbie

thx for your reply, i asked the price por a snow leopard it is about 250$ at the cnahge, i dont want to spend that much money on a machine i dunno if it will work...im currently downloading a torrent called macbook install disk 1 just to check, like i said before i have a downloaded copy of snow leopard but it ddnt boot that is why i dont want to buy it, if it works i will of coarse buy it. i downloaded the dmg file uncompressed and copied it with a program called transmac or something like that in a dual layer DVD... what can i download and install to check that everything is working?? i got into vista and saw it is a core 2 cpu with 1gb of ram

thx