HD and MAC - PC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by africano, Apr 24, 2012.

1. africano
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Hi,

Ive been using my WD External HD both on my PC AND MAC...PC for most of the time and MAC only to watch movies (I haven't formatted the drive so I can't write to it from mac)

Today I brought my HD home from work (PC) and I plugged it into my mac to watch a movie but I got an error saying it couldn't read the drive, ignore, or initialize, I initialized but all options are greyed out.....so I went over to my home pc and plugged it in and also nothing...

I went to disk manager and it shows up, says everything is okay....I go to disk manager and it shows the External HD, but says its NOT ASSIGNED.....I can't assign a letter, options are greyed out....

I can remove it safely as it appears as an option....dont know if I can fix this or if my drive is gone....?¿

Help please!?

2. old-wiz
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G3

Did you dismount the disk properly at work or just pull the plug? If the disk was not dismounted properly it often gets scrambled.

3. surfbo740
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Doesn't apply directly but....

This doesn't directly apply to your issue. However if you would like to be able to read/write in both OS X and Windows, its very easy. Just use Disk Utility in OS X and format the disk as Ex-Fat. Obviously back up or move the data before hand as this will wipe out any data on the disk you format.

Just my 2c