HD Apps - Very Annoyed!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TrickyTree1984, Jun 13, 2011.

1. TrickyTree1984 macrumors regular

So I have had 3 iPhones (i missed the 3g) and have had them since 2007. I have built up quite a large library of apps. I have put off buying an ipad until now because I didn't see the point. After iOS5 was announced, I thought it was time to jump in, especially as I am in the apple eco system and I have spent a lot of money on apps.

To my horror, it turns out I can't share most of my apps. Cut the rope, flick fishing, 3 versions of angry birds, C&C, tetris etc etc etc etc. Shocking! This was the only reason I bought the iPad rather than wait for the galaxy tab 10.1.

Rant over

2. gatearray macrumors 65816

You can return the iPad within 14 days for a full refund. I'm sure the Galaxy Tab will run all of your iPhone apps, plus you'll have about 40 more Android tablet apps to choose from. :)

3. mopppish macrumors 6502

I feel your frustration for the most part, with some caveats.
    These apps sell for usually only a few bucks. If we only had to buy one version of the app and could use it on any current and several future devices to their full capacity, how would the developers make any long term money?
    Also, I think some of the apps have had enhanced enough HD versions to justify the cost. (that being said, I don't know if I've personally bought any of those.. ha!)
    I am, however, definitely annoyed by separate ipad apps for things that don't need separate ipad apps. Like This American Life. That app is still super buggy on the phone. How can they justify designing a new app for the ipad that barely has a reason to exist when they can't even get the iphone one straight?!

4. northernbaldy, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

There are also a hell of a lot of apps that run on both iPhone and iPad
    Just look for the little + by the price

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Wait a tick, all your apps will appear with the same user ID.

6. dave420 macrumors 65816

I'm not quite following. You can run all those apps on the iPad? I do get a little annoyed when developers sell separate iPhone and iPad apps. I would be happy to pay the extra money to get a universal app, but many developers don't offer that. I usually just get the iPhone version in that case.

7. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

I know that this doesn't help your current situation, but check this out for a way to convert the ipad only apps to work on the ipodtouch and iphone. A few of the games I have work, but not all. It's a trial and error, but cool nonetheless.

I don't know if this is against the rules, but it doesn't involve pirating anything.

http://www.ultrasn0w.ca/2011/04/run-ipad-apps-on-iphone-jailbreak.html

It'd be cool to get a list going of what works.

8. psonice macrumors 6502a

Some apps are 'universal', and run properly on both ipad + iphone. Otherwise, iphone apps will almost always run on the ipad, but you'll get the iphone interface. It works, it's OK for some apps, but it's nowhere near as good as a proper ipad version.

As to 'why', from a developer perspective:

In many cases, the app was written for the iphone. Then, the ipad came out (or maybe the developer only just got an ipad and had the opportunity). Converting some apps for the ipad is a lot of work, and the app might sell for say $2. Many of the people who have an ipad already own the app on the iphone, so the market might be small.

Put all that together, and you have 2 choices:

1. Make the app universal, in a free update. Tons of work, probably quite small reward.

2. Make a HD version, and sell it for a couple of dollars. Still tons of work, but at least as it's a paid upgrade, you have a chance to pay off the effort.

I know it's kind of annoying to pay twice, but try to look at it as a paid upgrade, as the developer put a lot of effort into updating the app for the ipad. And at least the apps are generally extremely cheap :)

On the other hand, I find new apps that are released as iphone + HD versions at the same time annoying but hard to justify. There's no real reason not to write a new app to work on both, and the only real reason for selling them separate I can think of is the hope that people will pay twice if they own both devices.

9. slicecom macrumors 68020

This is why, since buying my iPad, I've boycotted all non-universal apps. Its just low for developers to do this, luckily, most of the games I like are universal.