HD backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shivermetimbers, Nov 22, 2008.

1. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

I am kinda new to macs. I have had my iMac for about a year now. I freaking love it!!!! I was a hardcore PC user and built my own PC rigs for a while before seeing the light. Now I just rave and convert others to macs.

Here is my question. I use my mac mainly for fartin around on the web, photos, vids and iTunes library. I bought a external HD to back up iPhoto/iTunes. Is there a way to make a back up internal disk image to my external drive? Kinda like time machine but with OS X Tiger?

I was messing around with disk utility and found "image" is this what I am after? Not that I am planning to have a major wipeout. Is this worth while or am I spinning my wheels?

I use to think I had decent puter (PC) skills. I move to macs, they are too cool.......but I really dont know sh*t. I am still learning and self taught. I will never go back to a PC. I am deploying again next May (USAF), that will fund my MBP. First the iMac...iPod....then iPhone........its a sickness...but I love it.

Great site by the way.....I have lots of reading to do!

--Shivermetimbers

2. shivermetimbers thread starter macrumors 6502

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no worries, i think that program should do what you want:)

4. shivermetimbers thread starter macrumors 6502

Just downloaded it thanks!:D