HD Booting up problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thinsulate008, May 10, 2012.

1. thinsulate008 macrumors newbie

Hi. Just a quick ? RE: A problem I have. My macbook pro 13 mid 2009 was playing up ie when I switched it on it would take quite some time to fully boot up. It would initially go to a blank grey screen then a blank blue screen would come up just b4 the password log in popped up. All in all around 2-4ish minutes. I bought a new 5400rpm Hitachi Travelstar HD, put it in an external case and cloned the internal HD using carbon copy cloner then installed it in the macbook. Problem is my new HD is doing the same thing when booting up. Did I copy the fault when I cloned the internal HD onto the new HD or could this be something else? .

Thanks.

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Probably. It is always best to do a clean install of your OS and then copy over just the user data when you suspect a bad hard drive.

3. thinsulate008 thread starter macrumors newbie

So no idea what the problem could be ?

4. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

I agree that you copied the fault. I would recommend a clean install.

5. thinsulate008 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I do a clean install ? (im not that tech savvy)

6. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Which OS are you running?

7. thinsulate008 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a Mid 2009 Macbook Pro 13 which came with OSX 10.6.4 but I updated and am using 10.6.8

8. biohead macrumors 6502

Do you have the restore discs that came with your Macbook? If so, make sure all the DATA and FILES you want to keep are safely stored on an external hard drive, or pen drive, or burnt to a disc.

When you have backed up your data - keep this disc safe, and keep it away from the MacBook whilst you reinstall the OS (It just avoids the possibility of it being erased!).

Insert the restore disc into the macbook and restart it. Before the mac chimes are played, hold down the option(alt) key. This will give you a list of devices to boot from - use the arrow keys to select the Restore Disc.
    When the restore disc has booted, chose the Disc Utility option first and erase the HDD that is in the macbook. Then proceed to reinstall the OS.

When the Macbook has rebooted to the OS - check for latest software updates to update to 10.6.8.

9. thinsulate008 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. ezramoore macrumors 6502a