HD Camcorder Advice

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by superted666, Oct 25, 2009.

1. superted666 Guest

superted666

Hey Guys,

Photography is my hobby but im looking for a HD video camera to replace a ancient JVC tape camcorder i have (my friends make fun of it).
    Its just for personal use like biking/holidays etc but i do like good quality kit.

Budget is anything up to £800ish ($1100) but isnt strict.
    I had looked at the Sanyo Xacti as its form factor would be awesome plus 1080p would be great for anything i do but im worried the image stabilisations is.... pants and its more a gadget than a serious tool.

What would you guys recommend? Quality is my main concern, preferably good with motion (biking etc)

2. steve123 macrumors regular

Hello,

Check out the Canon HV30 or HV40. These are highly rated handheld consumer HD camcorders. Lot's of info at www.hv20.com They are HDV tape based. HDV is used on a lot of semi-pro and pro equipment.

All the best.

3. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

i'll second that.
    the thing can shoot in the dark with ease, it small and the heads seem to hold up forever (I shoot ALOT with this as well as capture, meaning that the heads get alot of use)
    decent manual controls.
    I have the HV30
    the new HV40 is supposed to be able to shoot at 24p HD with out using an annying thing call pull down

4. Resist macrumors 68030

5. boodlefish macrumors newbie

there are a lot of great cameras in your price range, esp if you don't mind buying used. craigslist and ebay come to mind, but ultimately it comes down to the features you are looking for. manual control? or full auto will be a big price/quality determinant. The Panasonic ag-hmc 40 is something to look at its new and the price is still a little high, but its one you will not outgrow anytime soon, and its a full digital work flow 1080p recorded to SDHC cards.

like i said it depends on what you need this camera to do, and the ag-hmc 40 may be a bit much but if your budget isn't too strict look into it.

Oh and the canon 7D shouldn't go with out mention here either, you get 1080x30p 1080x24p on a still camera sensor (awesome depth of field) great for time-lapse still photog and video clips. check out Philip Blooms blog on it.
    http://philipbloom.co.uk/