HD Camcorder for PowerBook G4

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by carlo808, Jul 13, 2009.

1. carlo808 macrumors newbie

Looking at the Canon and Panasonic lines for flash-memory based HD camcorders. I am new to the camcorder world, but have read that I should "future-proof" my purchase since I need the camcorder now and will get a new MacBook next year. Two point five questions:

1 - Will these flash-memory HD camcorders mount on my desktop like any old hard drive? I want to just pull the files off the camera onto an external drive and then edit them much later when I get a capable computer.

2 - I assume I can use a card reader for the SDHC cards, but I like the "dual memory" feature in some models. Am I limiting my search by looking at only flash-memory camcorders? I go by the mantra that all hard drives eventually fail...

2.5 - Given my concerns, would it be limiting to go with the Canon HV30/40 instead of the HF flash-memory models?

2. knello macrumors member

knello

Yes, can do this optionally, but if you use FCP's "Log and Transfer" tool for task, you'll probably end up being much more organized.

The G4 will probably not be able to handle AVCHD (or ProRes), but you could still get work done if edit with an offline codec. I haven't actually tried AVCHD on a G4, but that's not reccomended.

It's hard to say if AVCHD or HDV

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you must have an intel mac to edit AVCHD (in FCP at least).

4. knello macrumors member

knello

Can you explain why editing offline won't work on a G4?

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

an intel mac is required to transcode AVCHD with FCP... you can't get to an offline codec.