HD Camcorder help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Itogator, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Itogator macrumors member

Hello and thanks in advance for any replies.

I tried posting a similar question in the Atv forum but could not get the help I needed.

I have a Panasonic TM90 HD Camcorder. It records 1080p or 1080i AVCHD.

I am currently recording in AVCHD but am having a hard time with iMovie 08. It crashes constantly and when it does work, the end result is of inferior quality to what is on the camera. I export using Quicktime and have played with many different settings but the end result is often grainy and a little pixelated on fast moving subjects.

Is there a software (free or paid) that can keep the quality of video that I can see when I hook my camera up to the tv directly? Can a higher version of iMovie do a better job? If anyone knows or has had success with a situation similar to mine, I'd be very appreciative if I can get some help with this.

Thanks

2. careypo macrumors member

Getting the latest version of iMovie should help. It's available as a download on the Mac App Store.

3. Itogator thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply. Could you please elaborate on how iMovie 11 will help?

What can it do with this type of video that iMove 08 can't?

Thanks

4. AngryRedTicTac macrumors regular

You aren't going to get identical results after transcoding it, even using ProRes it isn't going to be perfect. If you want to end up with the exact same quality, you'll need to leave it in .mts format. I've made some simple videos using Shedworx programs VoltAIC and Revolver HD that allow native edits and burning to DVDs (not Blu-rays), but the editing is very limited. To just put stuff on a DVD after rough editing and be able to play it on a Blu-ray player (not DVD player) this combo works very well, and is super quick. But that's all it is, a rough fast editor.....