HD Camcorder import to iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aellul, Jan 1, 2012.

1. aellul macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am trying to import movies directly from my camcorder to iMovie and am having trouble importing the subtitles. The camcorder creates a subtitle which would be the date and time stamp of the movie. When importing the movie into iMovie this data seems to get lost. I would like to have the date and time of the movie as a subtitle. Is there a way of importing this info into iMovie?

Thanks and appreciate your help.

Aldo

2. scott001 macrumors newbie

3. ObuckiO, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

ObuckiO macrumors regular

check the battery..Sometimes the date/time data have their own.
    Maybe, also look into the NAS (network attached storage)

4. simsaladimbamba

The date and time is stored as metadata within the file, but it is not stored as "subtitle" or burned into the video.
    Why do you want to do this anyway?

If you really need this info, you have to extract it from the metadata, but it will still not be visible on the video. For that, you have to build/create an effect. As I don't know iMovie, I don't know how to do such thing in there, but the 30-day trial of After Effects can do this, if it is a one time thing, or you have to invest in Motion (50 USD), which can do that too.

WTF?
    What has the internal battery to store the date to do with the question?
    And what has a NAS to do with the question?

Your post reads like a SPAM post, where the SPAM gets added later into the signature.

5. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

On my camera you can select whether you want to see additional information on your screen, like for example the battery.

I guess he was suggesting to look up the option for showing the battery and look around to see if there's an option for a timestamp.

6. simsaladimbamba

But even when the time and date and battery capacity are shown on the screen, the data will not be burnt into the video. It is an extra layer. This is not VHS anymore, though with some miniDV camcorders, one could choose to burn the TC or extra information into the image.