HD camera input into FCE

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 22Barb, Aug 11, 2011.

1. 22Barb macrumors newbie

I bought an HD camera. Now when I import into Final Cut Express the image in the canvas is rectangular and not square. I have to enlarge it to fully fit the canvas, and that cuts out some of the side view. Suggestions?

2. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

HD Video is 16:9 and standard definition video is 4:3 (square) so you need to change your project settings to use a high definition project, not ntsc.

3. 22Barb thread starter macrumors newbie

HD camera input into FCE

Thanks. But I forgot to add that I can only get the video onto my MacBook Pro by importing it into iMovie and then saving it as a Quicktime movie first. I called the Camera people (Cannon VIXIA HFM40 and followed their instructions) but the FCE won't import it - says it's not connected. I can convert to SD and then get it into iMovie. The resolution seems about the same on the computer (it's hard to tell) monitor and it is square, but I want HD.
    It is an old final cut (Version 3.4) and a new camera. Is this why FCE won't read from the camera?

4. cgbier macrumors 6502a

HD came with your version, so you should be able to edit it. When you open it, the default is SD NTSC.
    Did you change your Easy Setup to your HD format - AIC 1080i60 (IIRC)?