HD Camera Recommendations

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Macman45, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

As the title suggests, looking for a camera for a buddy. He's pretty up to date, with the DSLR scene, but has never used a video camera expect a couple of times when he's borrowed mine.

Something in the £500-800 price range, full 1080p Dolby...Along those lines. Something that can grow with his skills, rather than a basic camera he would soon need to upgrade.

2. ChristianJapan, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I'm quite happy with my Canon HF M52, full HD 1080p, memory card only and AVCHD for my FCPX. Something nice to start with (as I do). There is one model up the line which might fit better in case this one is too simple.

3. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Thanks I'm on my phone comparing stuff in the shop. Will ask about canon#

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Not sure why you'd want "Dolby" in a camera unless your implying AVCHD with AC-3 audio over LPCM (I hate AC-3 in cameras, LPCM is much better) Anyways....does he want a DSLR for video? If so something like a 60D or even a 6D or used 5D Mk II would be GREAT for that! I'm taking a wild guess on pounds to USD here though :eek::D Canon offers both great DSLRs are video cameras that do AVCHD as well. Don't know as much about pure video as I do about DSLR though.

5. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

I think he's for a camcorder. If he's looking for a DSLR, then, I have some bad news:

- if he means true multichannel by "Dolby", none of the current DSLR's have any way of recording that, not even using external mikes with the DSLR's that do have mike inputs. They mostly record AVCHD and, consequently, AC-3 audio but the content itself is stereo. The cameras that record into MOV (non-AVCHD) files either record into stereo AAC or LPCM (all Canon models).

- for 500-800 UK pounds, I think IQ- and stability (no overheating plaguing all Sony NEX models) wise is the best he can have is the Pana GH2, unless he needs shallower DoF necessitating ASP-C or, even better, full frame cameras with bright lenses. With the announcement of the GH3 (which will surely be more expensive than 800 pounds, even with a lousy lens), the price of the GH2 is down.

6. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

No, not DSLR he has one...Still looking around..A camcorder (digital SSD) is what he's after..:)

7. daybreak macrumors 6502a

You state "HE". What age group is he and has he done any research regards what he wants. I would find it very frustrating if i did the work and after a while once he got the camera you choose he was not happy.
    I would only advice but make him buy and see the camera.
    I still maintain when buying any form of technical apparatus, by all means ask but never say this is the item for you.:eek:

8. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Two important questions would be:
    1) What is he going to use it for?
    2) Does his DSLR not do video?

9. sigamy macrumors 65816

Stick with the big 3: Sony, Canon, Panasonic. He should be able to afford any of the top consumer models.

Make sure it has mic input and headphone jack and manual controls. These are left out of lower priced consumer models.

He may be able to look at the prosumer Sony MC50 or a used Panny HMC40.

As others have said, DSLR's are getting big for video these days. Panasonic GH2 is well respected as best value out there. There is also Canon T2i. Maybe he can/should sell his current DSLR and move into a video capabile one and have just one camera.

btw, sorry these are all US models...

10. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

He is happy to be guided by me, he wants the camera principally for an upcoming wedding and in order to take video of his new born grandson.

He is not using his DSLR for. Video, although its capable, and wants a dedicated camcorder he is in his 60's and came up through SLR and film, is an experienced photographer, but is admittedly clueless about video. I don't want to lead him down an expensive route, more mid range and as user friendly as possible.

11. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Well if he already has a DSLR that can do video, it won't cost him anything to use it for video plus he will probably produce better videos if he learns how to shoot with it properly.

But if you just want a point and shoot, then the high end consumer models from Sony, Canon and Panasonic are all good. The Panasonic X900 especially seems to be getting some nice reviews at the moment.

12. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes I looked at the Panasonic it looks good, going to get him to try one out this week...I bought a Lumix a few weeks back to replace my ancient compact...A great little camera with which I'm very pleased...Thanks for the tip..:)

13. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I would recommend the Canon VIXIA HF G10. You can read reviews about it and decide if it's right for you ... it produces high quality video that can be used for paid work.

14. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes that's a nice camera, but a little OTT for his needs I think...I was looking at that one for myself:)

15. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Okay, then you could take it one step down to the VIXIA HF-S20. I own that one too and it's really really good, very easy to use and produces sharp images with really incredible audio in my opinion. Awhile back I used to shoot concerts with it and the sound was unbelievable... check out this for example (video and audio from the S-20) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBJm4goCuiE

16. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That IS impressive...Duly noted, another for the list..:)

17. meotai macrumors newbie

18. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

Wow, now i want one of these. Doubt i'll have 1300 bucks anytime soon, though

19. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

See this post...