HD Camera to iMovie data NOT requiring conversion?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by frailin, Feb 20, 2011.

1. frailin macrumors newbie

frailin

Hi

I'm really wanting to upgrade to HD (from standard) but DON'T want to have to convert MTS files to .mov in order to use.

From what I've read, the (old?) Canon HV20 records to DV. Can anyone tell me if HD on a DV is read by iMovie '09 as a .mov... so NO conversion is needed? I THINK I saw that on an old thread from '07.

And if I wanted to upgrade storage media (to flash from DV), is there a camera (that records to flash) using .mov or anything that doesn't need conversion?

Thanks

Craig
    www.autismhangout.com

2. dringkor macrumors member

My Kodak PlaySport (flip type camcorder) records H.264 in .MOV files that import directory into iMovie (iTunes, etc.) with no conversion. This little camcorder is like $129 at Wal-Mart and is great for outdoors in good light. Also it's waterproof and shock resistant, which makes it good for my wife to keep with her. ;-) I record in 720p and it looks and works great for what it is.

My main camcorder is a Sanyo VPC-FH1A. It records H.264 in .MP4 files that also import directly into iMovie (iTunes, etc.) with no conversion. This camcorder is the traditional shape and size (though it's very small). Amazon has it for $658. They also have its brother, the VPC-HD2000A, which is a pistol-grip style form factor but has the same specs, for $431. These camcorders are fantastic in low light, indoors, and every situation I've throw at it.

I record 720p on the Sanyo as well, and use the footage from both the Kodak and the Sanyo in iMovie without issue.

Also it's great to import the .MOV and .MP4 files into iTunes and stream them to the new Apple TV wirelessly right after you shoot it. My three-year-old loves this.

3. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

While that will work great, keep in mind that H.264 is a video compression codec so your video quality is coming in at a highly compressed format.

As for MTS files, it depends on the camera that you are using. I know that my Canon T2i will give me H.264 MOV files and when I import them I'll convert them to Apple Pro Res before I edit.

4. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Consumer grade HD camcorders are going to either record to mini DV tapes (HDV), or SD Cards/Hard drive (AVCHD). Both of these formats require a transferring process to edit in iMovie. There are other cameras that record straight to H.264 and can be dropped straight into iMovie, but there is a loss in quality with these cameras.

Professional cameras do not suffer from this problem. They will record to P2 Cards (DVCPROHD), or SxS Cards (XDCAM EX) generally, and will not require conversion, but they require pro software as well, final cut pro, avid, etc.

5. dringkor macrumors member

True, but the Original Poster said he wanted to use flash media, and AFAIK there is no camcorder that will record on flash media in any uncompressed format. And remember, even HDV on tape is compressed.

6. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Well the word compression here is relative. Practically speaking, nearly all video is compressed in some fashion. H.264 cameras that shoot straight to flash just happen to be compressed to an extreme.