HD can't be formatted

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dtavdi, Jul 12, 2011.

1. dtavdi macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

Here's my problem. I had some issues with my macbook pro hd, so i decided to format it and to return all the data from back up copy. When I was copying I thought computer got stucked and turnd it off with the button. Now when I turn it on and boot from the external hd, the system doesn't see the internal hd, disk utility shoes the partition in grey colour and can't erase it, it stucks at "unmounting disk" step. I have used a lot of different programs to format the internal hd, but everything just stucks when I'm dealing with internal hd (I used ipartition, TechTools, Drive Genious etc)

The only thing that I didn't try is booting from the cd which came with the computer, because I don't have it with me right now.

I tried a lot of different disk verifications, fsck also, this all didn't help.

So my main question is how do I format the HD inside, without stucking in ejeckting disk step or maybe I can solve the problem without formatting at all?

Thanks!

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

What MBP is it? Some of the 2011 17" models have had some issues with bad cables, and other people with other models have had issues with firmware (2009 models) etc. What is the internal, bad drive? I suspect you have a bad drive or at least it is marginal. "Get a new drive," may be the best option, rather than trying again and again with a drive that has had issues.
    The best solution is to get your original OS Install disks, or call Apple and ask for replacements, they should be able to help you for a modest shipping fee.
    Make sure you use the correct type of partition, i.e., GUID for an Intel Mac.
    Good luck