HD capture from cablebox

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by macMonte, Jan 3, 2009.

1. macMonte macrumors newbie

Hi All. Long story short, I want to capture a direct feed from my HD cable box to Final Cut Pro. I'm not looking to pirate shows or anything, just wanted some footage for a project I'm working on about mainstream media. I have a Sony HDR-FX1 camera and a Sony HVR-M15U deck. I figured there was some way I could use one of them to act as a go-between via component cables from my cable box outputting a 720p or 1080i signal but I couldn't get it to work.

Is there a card I could buy that would get the job done? I have a 2.66 Mac Pro.

I found this on B&H, looks like it could get the job done via HDMI which would be just as helpful. Any one have any experience with dealing with this sort of task? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...RO_Intensity_Pro_HDMI_and.html#specifications

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I don't know of how to capture directly from the TV. I suggest you find a HD video of the show you want online and save the .flv file, .mov file, or .wmv file. There are thread on how to save these files from the web so please search a little (a lot) before starting a new thread.;)

Regards,
    David

3. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

I've used my Intensity Pro before, albeit over component as my Comcast HD box didn't have HDMI out at the time, it worked fine. If you're interested I have an Intensity (non Pro, only HDMI) that I don't need anymore, PM me for details.

4. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Have you looked into the Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212? It's a component capture device using USB. There are many dedicated forum threads on this device over at AVSForum, even on their Mac HTPC forum.

It imports 720p/1080i at the original resolution and converts it to some variant of h264/AVCHD. Not really sure if you can edit the resultant file with FCP or iMovie, etc.

It's worth a look.

ft

5. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Give this a shot. It lets you plug a firewire-400 cable from your box to your mac, allowing you to acquire a pure mpeg 2 stream. Convert that with mpeg streamclip and you're golden.